New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 Release candidate

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
RandomUsername

Re: B3 Release candidate

Post by RandomUsername »

OK Johannes, thanks. Can I do something with that hotfix you linked to? How would I install it?

@ Daniel, no probs so far except the one bug reported in the other thread.

At the moment I've only done the basics. I've set up an encrypted lvm and left my files rsyncing from by B2 overnight. I haven't really started putting the B3 through it's paces yet. Will report more as I find it.

Darren.
johannes

Post by johannes »

I really don't know, we'll have to check with Carl tomorrow.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

RandomUsername wrote:@ Daniel, no probs so far except the one bug reported in the other thread
What is your version of bubba-backend ("dpkg -l|grep bubba-backend") after upgrading? I guess the problem here is that it doesn't get upgraded. Even after running the hotfix Johannes posted, an apt-get dist-upgrade says it will hold back my old bubba-backend. I'm having version 2.2.5 now and the version in hugo seems to be 2.2.29. Guess we will have to obey Johannes and wait for Carl 8)

/Daniel

edit: Couldn't keep my fingers away, so I looked around for a bit more. After manually installing the package foomatic-db-compressed-ppds (which in it's turn removed foomatic-db and foomatic-db-engine), an apt-get dist-upgrade now says it will upgrade bubba-backend as well. Guess I'll hold my trigger-happy finger 'til tomorrow anyways just to be sure :D
carl

Post by carl »

DanielM wrote:
RandomUsername wrote:@ Daniel, no probs so far except the one bug reported in the other thread
What is your version of bubba-backend ("dpkg -l|grep bubba-backend") after upgrading? I guess the problem here is that it doesn't get upgraded. Even after running the hotfix Johannes posted, an apt-get dist-upgrade says it will hold back my old bubba-backend. I'm having version 2.2.5 now and the version in hugo seems to be 2.2.29. Guess we will have to obey Johannes and wait for Carl 8)

/Daniel

edit: Couldn't keep my fingers away, so I looked around for a bit more. After manually installing the package foomatic-db-compressed-ppds (which in it's turn removed foomatic-db and foomatic-db-engine), an apt-get dist-upgrade now says it will upgrade bubba-backend as well. Guess I'll hold my trigger-happy finger 'til tomorrow anyways just to be sure :D
The hotfix only fixes the web-based upgrade so this situation doesn't occur. The basic issue is the file descriptor I've used during the upgrade, which some new packages related to dbus and python wasn't really happy about. When upgrading directly from the command-line, that issue isn't relevant. But if you've failed upgrading via the web interface, forcing installation of foomatic-db-compressed-ppds is the correct way to go; I've sadly not figured out why it want to have foomatic-db and foomatic-db-engine installed in the first place at all, as they shouldn't be installed, and has never been installed before.

To verify that you've succeeded upgrading, an "dpkg -l | grep -v ^ii" shouldn't show anything except eventual "rc" entries, which is not something to worry about. Especially if you've got "iF", you have an broken installation, and "iU", you've got an non-completed installation. ("ii" means a perfectly installed package by the way")

Fyi, the new foomatic-db-compressed-ppds and all the dbus/python packages are related to the new printing system functionallity which is now wholly automatic, i.e. no more configuration interface in the admin panel; just plug-n-play, and that for example HP deskjet printers work out of the box.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

@Daniel, still on bubba-backend 2.2.5 here.

I followed Johannes' instructions regarding "distribution_change" and ended up with a load more upgraded packages but not bubba-backend (I got a message regarding switching to dependency-based sequencding - I chose not to. I hope that's right).

Then force installed foomatic-db-compressed-ppds as per your suggestion and ended up with a whole load more updates including bubba-backend 2.2.29.

Carl's "dpkg -l | grep -v ^ii" doesn't show any broken packages which is reassuring and happily, now the bug mentioned in the other thread is resolved.

So it's all good.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Great, thanks for letting us know!
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Ok. I've done the upgrade now. Everything worked except one little glitch. Fetchmail refused to upgrade because I had no /etc/fetchmailrc (never used fetchmail). Entire update stopped because of that. A simple "touch /etc/fetchmail" made it work.

/Daniel
carl

Post by carl »

DanielM wrote:Ok. I've done the upgrade now. Everything worked except one little glitch. Fetchmail refused to upgrade because I had no /etc/fetchmailrc (never used fetchmail). Entire update stopped because of that. A simple "touch /etc/fetchmail" made it work.

/Daniel
That's a known issue, and I decided to exclude fetchmail upgrade at all this time; I t seems you've tried to upgrade towards our "vincent" repository, which is not the one slated for release, but the "hugo" repository instead.
support@excito.com
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

carl wrote:
DanielM wrote:Ok. I've done the upgrade now. Everything worked except one little glitch. Fetchmail refused to upgrade because I had no /etc/fetchmailrc (never used fetchmail). Entire update stopped because of that. A simple "touch /etc/fetchmail" made it work.

/Daniel
That's a known issue, and I decided to exclude fetchmail upgrade at all this time; I t seems you've tried to upgrade towards our "vincent" repository, which is not the one slated for release, but the "hugo" repository instead.
Nope. This was using hugo, according to the URLs in the first post of this thread.

/Daniel
carl

Post by carl »

DanielM wrote:
carl wrote:

/Daniel
Nope. This was using hugo, according to the URLs in the first post of this thread.

/Daniel
That's strange,

Could you post which version of fetchmail it tried to install, and if possible, also the version you had before?
support@excito.com
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

carl wrote:
DanielM wrote:
carl wrote: That's a known issue, and I decided to exclude fetchmail upgrade at all this time; I t seems you've tried to upgrade towards our "vincent" repository, which is not the one slated for release, but the "hugo" repository instead.

/Daniel
That's strange,

Could you post which version of fetchmail it tried to install, and if possible, also the version you had before?
The version it installed is 6.3.18-2. According to the logs in /etc/apt my previous version was 6.3.17-4.

/Daniel
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Still on 6.3.17-4 here. Didn't get any messages regarding fetchmail when I upgraded.
carl

Post by carl »

DanielM wrote:
carl wrote:
DanielM wrote:

/Daniel
That's strange,

The version it installed is 6.3.18-2. According to the logs in /etc/apt my previous version was 6.3.17-4.

/Daniel
6.3.18-2 is the version in upstream_squeeze_forvincent, upstream_squeeze_forhugo has 6.3.17-4
support@excito.com
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

carl wrote:
DanielM wrote:
carl wrote: That's strange,

/Daniel
6.3.18-2 is the version in upstream_squeeze_forvincent, upstream_squeeze_forhugo has 6.3.17-4
Well, then something is very weird with your repositories. I have never installed fetchmail any other way than by using apt-get (I don't even want to have fetchmail installed...), and I have never had anything fancy in my sources.list. I see though that 6.3.18-2 is the version in squeeze. Could apt-get somehow have fetched it from there?

/Daniel
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

I encountered a possibly similar problem last night.

I was trying to install the package php5-intl but aptitude was complaining that it was dependent on php5-common version 5.2.1-1ex1 but I had version 5.3.3-7-squeeze3 installed.

I discovered that it was trying to install php5-intl version 5.3.2-1ex1 from the hugo repository even though version 5.3.3-7+squeeze3 was available from the upstream_squeeze_forhugo repo. I had to force install that version.

This seems to be the opposite of Daniel's experience but I thought it was weird it wasn't automatically trying to pull down the latest version, particular as there were no dependency issues with the later version.