New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Multi-Function Printers - Printing/Scanning/Copying - Issues

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Klingan

Multi-Function Printers - Printing/Scanning/Copying - Issues

Post by Klingan »

Hello!

I am currently running a B3 WiFi 1TB with a Samsung SCX-4500 Multi-Function Printer connected through USB.

My connected client is a Ubuntu 11.04 -installation.

The operating system finds the shared printer, and uses it properly.
I am not, however, able to scan anything - using any software designed for scanning purposes (like XSANE).
They all report that no image reader/scanner was found.

I have installed the "Unified Linux Driver Package" with success. The software did not find the network printer over Samba (SMB://) at first, but I had to manually add it.
After this, I had two active network printers. The one that was automatically added, and another one that got added after installing the driver package and manually adding the printer.

Both printers work when printing a document.

The scanning part, however, still does not work.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

/ Klingan
ryz

Re: Multi-Function Printers - Printing/Scanning/Copying - Is

Post by ryz »

Unfortunately you can not use samba to share a scanner only printers. You need to use something like SANE for the scanner. Se the how to for more information http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1598. It is for the B2 but should work for the B3 as well.
Klingan

Post by Klingan »

ryz wrote:Unfortunately you can not use samba to share a scanner only printers. You need to use something like SANE for the scanner. Se the how to for more information http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1598. It is for the B2 but should work for the B3 as well.
Hello!
I actually followed that guide but with no result, unfortunately.
The odd thing though, is that the scanner worked when I used Windows 7 - without having to install anything on the B3?
Klingan

Post by Klingan »

Also, there was one part of the guide which I could not fulfill - since the path/file didn't exist:
4) Fixing permission
If Bubba does not correctly recognise your scanner you need to edit the config files for udev. Udev is the demon that tries to figure out what devices is pluged in to Bubba and take the correct actions. Run
CODE: SELECT ALL
nano /etc/udev/libsane-extras.rules