New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba two won't reinstall

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Flyingdancer

Bubba two won't reinstall

Post by Flyingdancer »

Hi, I had some issues with updates in my Bubba2, so decided to do an in-place install.

Downloaded the latest image zip and expanded onto my Excito USB. Set DO_INSTALL=1; PARTITION=0;FORMAT=0 in bubba.cfg to keep existing data.

Followed the instructions - ethernet to WAN port, USB stick in, power button down when plugging in.

Every attempt has 4hz led flashes, lots of USB activity and some HDD activity for a few minutes, then a 1 or 2hz LED flash for ever.

Powering down with the button and restarting has the usual startup flashing from the USB but that's all however long I wait. The HDD seems to have a linux image on it (dates of files vary widely).

Anyone have any ideas as I keep going round this loop!
Flyingdancer

Re: Bubba two won't reinstall

Post by Flyingdancer »

Bit of an update: stuck a new disk in and did an install from USB. All went fine. Then sorted the bubba settings/users.

Did an in place install which completes but wipes all the settings I've changed.

Looks like my best option is to try to copy data from the old disc
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

What do you mean "it wipes the settings"? If you're talking about changed configs (such as files in /etc) then that's going to happen as the installer wipes the data partition. All it preserves is the home partition (/home/(
[username] /home/storage and so on).
Flyingdancer

Post by Flyingdancer »

What I mean is that it removes any changes I make, e.g. new users, passwords so it looks like a default installation
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Flyingdancer wrote:What I mean is that it removes any changes I make, e.g. new users, passwords so it looks like a default installation
Yeah, that would get wiped by the reinstall as that kind of information is in /etc/.

The best thing to do would be to use the built in system backup option (in the web interface under settings/backup I think) - I know that backs up /etc/passwd at least - to a USB stick. Do the reinstall (still making sure it doesn't wipe /home) and then do the system restore.
Flyingdancer

Post by Flyingdancer »

Thanks. Previous reinstalls have preserved user info and stuff or maybe my memory is wrong.

Trouble is trying to get the original disc to start up in the bubba so that I can do anything!

I've done a new build with a new HDD. Sticking the original disc into the esata port makes it show up as unformatted.

I've connected the original disk to an Ubuntu desktop via an esata port and can see the volume group and logical volume that I need to get data off but I can't get the LV to mount. I backed up vital stuff before I started all this but it'd be nice to get the rest back. It'll be an interesting weekend!
Flyingdancer

Post by Flyingdancer »

OK, I've renamed the VG on the original disk so that the Bubba system sees it and it shows up on the 'disk' page. It doesn't mention LVM but shows up as Volume group/logical volume as in 'bubbaold-storage'

When I try to connect, I get "Failed to aquire suitable type of the filesystem on partition...."

any thoughts?