New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 upload problem

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Cheeseboy

Re: B3 upload problem

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hmm, weird.
Here is my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

Code: Select all

[global]
bind interfaces only=yes
disable spoolss=Yes
dns proxy=no
encrypt passwords = true
guest account=nobody
interfaces=br0
invalid users=root
load printers=yes
log file=/var/log/samba/log.all
map to guest=Bad User
max log size=1000
obey pam restrictions=yes
passdb backend=tdbsam
preferred master=yes
printcap name=cups
printing=cups
security=user
server string=%h Miniserver
show add printer wizard=no
socket options=TCP_NODELAY
syslog=0
workgroup = WORKGROUP

[home]
browseable=yes
comment=Home Directories
create mask=0764
directory mask=0775
guest ok=no
hide dotfiles=yes
hide files=/lost+found/
hide special files=yes
path=/home
public=no
user=@users
writable=yes

[printers]
browseable=no
comment=Attached printers
guest ok=yes
path=/var/spool/samba
printable=yes
use client driver=yes

[storage]
comment=Common storage
force create mode=0777
force directory mode=0777
force group=users
guest ok=yes
hide files=/lost+found/
hide special files=yes
path=/home/storage
public=yes
writable=yes
I don't have windows at home, but I tried accessing the samba share from Ubuntu, and it worked without problems.
I was thinking your problem was specific to Win 7 perhaps... Hence my suggestion and the link.
Please let us know how you get on with this issue, and if it remains, contact Excito support.

Cheers,

Cheeseboy
Mothermoo

Post by Mothermoo »

The only difference betwen your smb.conf and mine is the line "disable spoolss=Yes".

According to samba docs it should usually be = no.
Enabling this parameter will disable Samba's support for the SPOOLSS set of MS-RPC's and will yield identical behavior as Samba 2.0.x. Windows NT/2000 clients will downgrade to using Lanman style printing commands. Windows 9x/ME will be unaffected by the parameter. However, this will also disable the ability to upload printer drivers to a Samba server via the Windows NT Add Printer Wizard or by using the NT printer properties dialog window. It will also disable the capability of Windows NT/2000 clients to download print drivers from the Samba host upon demand. Be very careful about enabling this parameter.
But I changed it anyway to see what happened. And guess what? No result! Well, we will see what happens tomorrow when I swap the B3 to a new one...
Nrde

Post by Nrde »

There's new samba 3.6 released with improvements for "new" windows versions like Vista and Windows 7. http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.6.0.html
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Correct, but nearly all differences between SMB1 and SMB2 are relevant for domain setup or very large installations. Your home network is likely neither, so performance will not be notably better.
Nrde

Post by Nrde »

Ubi wrote:Correct, but nearly all differences between SMB1 and SMB2 are relevant for domain setup or very large installations. Your home network is likely neither, so performance will not be notably better.
It's not all about SMB1/SMB2. But I have no idea what the possible effects on home usage would be as I don't have Vista or W7 machines not to mention any Samba related problems.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

You might want to take a look here:

Strike that: not allowed to post off-site URLs

Find BuilderAU (an Australian site for developers) and type this exact string in the search field

samba, file sharing, vista, microsoft
In the results there is a blog page named `Get Vista and Samba to work`. Looks like a solid solution to me.

--
Microsoft broke so many things that I really do wonder why people insist on wanting to buy it.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Gordon wrote:You might want to take a look here:

Find BuilderAU (an Australian site for developers) and type this exact string in the search field

samba, file sharing, vista, microsoft
In the results there is a blog page named `Get Vista and Samba to work`. Looks like a solid solution to me.

--
Microsoft broke so many things that I really do wonder why people insist on wanting to buy it.
The URL is here to save anyone else the effort.
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I guess you should be able to do that now.
Mothermoo

Post by Mothermoo »

I have now received a new B3. It came with software version 2.1.99. Guess what? So far uploading files work!!

I will test this around a bit and check the Samba settings before I upgrade it to version 2.3. But my guess is that something happens during the upgrade to 2.3 that stops Windows 7 from communicating with B3.
Mothermoo

Post by Mothermoo »

Not everything works correctly even in Version 2.1.99. When I try to upload larger files (well below the 2G limit), the filemanager sometimes stop uploading and in some cases say that the upload is completed, but there are no files uploaded in the directory.

Next step is upgrading to version 2.3. Stay tuned...
Mothermoo

Post by Mothermoo »

I have now upgraded to version 2.3. I had the same problem as described in this post

http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3284

The upgrade stopped at 99,98%. When I rebooted the status page stated everything was installed, but when I initated another software upgrade it tried to download again. I did as suggested in the other post.
dpkg --configure -a: , and then the apt-get update. Apt-get upgrade again.
It worked! Almost everything seems to work now. I can even upload larger files.

The only hing that does not work is the shortcut B3 to login on the Bubba. I have to write the network adress 192.168.10.1. Otherwise the DNS sends me to b3.se which has nothing to do with Excito.

I have however no explanaition to why the previous upgrade stopped me from uploading files. If it was the installation that bugged out, then the flash-upgrade via USB should have worked? Or does the B3 keep some settings even if you flash the installation?

The software update is not very user friendly since it seem to crash for many users. Can a novise computer user actually use this? I am not sure if e.g. I can recommend my parents to buy the B3.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

I must say, giving the complexity of having a stateless (web) protocol run under reduced privileges to dynamically monitor a root-driven update process, the code that Excito wrote is probably the best I've ever seen. It certainly knocks the socks of webmin.

A second point is that for nearly all people that complained about crashes during updates, these people manually added repositories or non-excito packages to their system. I doubt your parents will be doing this.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

I doubt your parents will be doing this.
:-)
Mothermoo

Post by Mothermoo »

A second point is that for nearly all people that complained about crashes during updates, these people manually added repositories or non-excito packages to their system. I doubt your parents will be doing this.
Since both B3 that I upgraded was out of the box, it could not be due to tampering. And yes, this is exactly what an ordinary user would do. I do not use Unix-systems very often and when it come to a home entertainment system like this I do not want to have to do it. If Excito want to reach the big mainstream market outside of the Linux-users and hackers they must take this kind of feedback very seriously.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Wow, calm down mate.
Yes there's a few problems for people trying to update via the web. You claim it is for many, but you present no numbers for this, and you ignore the fact that only users with problems ventilate these issues on the forum.
Also, we are not employees of Excito, so there really is no benefit of getting angry at us. Second, why are you convinced Excito does not take this seriously?