New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Wordpress too 'heavy' for B3 ?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
force317

Wordpress too 'heavy' for B3 ?

Post by force317 »

I just received my 1TB B3 and I intended to install Wordpress on it.
But it seems that this application might be a bit heavy on the B3 ?

So my question is : should I avoid installing applications like drupal, joomla or wordpress because they run too
slow on the B3 ? If that is the case, it would be a waste of time trying it !

What kind of applications should I try instead ? I found some information on the forum about other appliations, but some info concerned the older B2.

What CMS for instance would be a better choice for installation on the B3 ? CMS Made Simple ?
DanielM

Re: Wordpress too 'heavy' for B3 ?

Post by DanielM »

I'm running Wordpress on my B3. It isn't the fastest Wordpress in history, but it works well within the limits in my opinion. It's really easy to set up, so I suggest you just try it out for yourself.

/Daniel
force317

Post by force317 »

Thanks for the advice. I will try it. Where did you get you info to install Wordpress 3 ?

It's the standard procedure for installing Wordpress 3 on debian or ubuntu ? Nothing special
to do to make it work on B3 ?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Well, all I did was an "apt-get install wordpress" :D

/Daniel
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Me too, running Wordpress, not fast but useable.

Rene
B3 1T + B-Stor 2T, B2 1T as backup
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
HnLn

Post by HnLn »

Same here, running a drupal 7 for dev purposes and it runs but very slow as it maxes out my bubba cpu (http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3225).
force317

Post by force317 »

Isn't Drupal or Joomla even heavier than Wordpress ?

There are some 'lightweight' systems around, but then, they have other disadvantages.

I considered applications like CMSMadesimple, PHP-Fusion, GetSimple, etc ... .

But I will try out Wordpress as a blog/cms system.

Will post here on how it went. Thanks for the reactions.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

I found Joonla to be tolerable on the B2 but didn't do much with it.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

In my experience Joomla is the behemoth of CMS systems and acts as a black hole for system resources. If Joomla runs on a B2, Wordpress will certainly run on a B2 or B3.
force317

Post by force317 »

Found some info on the internet on installing Wordpress but under Ubuntu ... but all I managed to do is download latest.tar.gz, unpack it and move the wordpress folder to /var/www

I know this is for Ubuntu Server and not Debian Squeeze ... .

Since this B3 is based on Debian, apt-get doesn't seem to work, but apt either ... or better, I am not using it correctly !

Phpmyadmin is apparently not installed either. And apt-get install wordpress gives an error message : E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. And I rather prefer to have some control over the installation procedure.

Could someone post the complete procedure to install Wordpress on Debian Squeeze ?
Last edited by force317 on 18 Aug 2011, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

force317 wrote:Found some info on the internet on installing Wordpress but under Ubuntu ... but all I managed to do is download latest.tar.gz, unpack it and move the wordpress folder to /var/www

Since this B3 is based on Debian, apt-get doesn't seem to work, but apt either ... or better, I am not using it correctly !

Phpmyadmin is apparently not installed.

Could someone post the complete procedure to install Wordpress on Debian Squeeze ?
I don't really follow what you are talking about here. Of course apt-get works on Debian, it's the primary tool used for installing stuff on Debian. I wrote the complete procedure needed to install wordpress in my last post in this thread. Just SSH into your B3, then su to become root and then "apt-get install wordpress" and press enter. No need to manually download or unpack anything at all.

/Daniel
force317

Post by force317 »

When using apt-get install wordpress i get this error message : E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

Will try the dpkg command, then install wordpress.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

force317 wrote:When using apt-get install wordpress i get this error message : E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
Ok, then there is some problem with your installation. What happened when you ran "dpkg --configure -a"?

/Daniel
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Perhaps the package database is not up to date?

Code: Select all

# apt-get update

Code: Select all

# apt-get upgrade
I'm sure you have tried this already, but just wanted to make sure we eliminate the easiest fixes first...
force317

Post by force317 »

Just ran dpkg --configure -a , and after that apt-get wordpress worked, he installed an older version 3.0.5, not
in var/www, somewhere else.

Then I tried installing phpmyadmin, with apt-get install phpadmin, the downloading went ok, but during setup
I couldn't complete the installation, so he installed it without root + password. So I can't start up phpmyadmin in the browser to create the wordpress database, I can't login.

How do I completely remove phpmyadmin 'am used to synaptic for sort of thing, so that I can try to reinstall it ?