New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

minidlna inotify

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
HnLn

minidlna inotify

Post by HnLn »

Hi all,

minidlna doesn't seem to pick up new files added to my media folder. The minidlna config file says inotify=yes, but each time I add files to the directory I have to manually rebuild the minidlna database to get my new files to show up (minidlna -R -d).

Tnx,

HnLn
johannes

Re: minidlna inotify

Post by johannes »

it does rescan every now and then (15 minutes I think?) so you shouldn't have to manually rebuild anything. Does this not work?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
HnLn

Post by HnLn »

It doesn't seem to on my system. Forgot to mention that I'm working with a stripped down debian (as explained in the wiki), so maybe I still need to enable a setting somwhere or install an extra package ?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ah. Check the /etc/minidlna.conf (or similar, from memory) and make sure that regular scanning is enabled. I don't know anything about inotify though, and why that wouldn't work.
HnLn

Post by HnLn »

What do you mean with "regular scanning" ? I don't have any reference to that in my minidlna.conf (which looks pretty much like this one: http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3416#p17428
johannes

Post by johannes »

i think it is notify_interval (set at 15 minutes now), but it is present. Are you sure this does not work? But the files are there and a manual re-scan solves it?
HnLn

Post by HnLn »

Yep, I have that line 2, but nothing seems to be picked up. A manuel scan does pick them up.
meta96

Post by meta96 »

... i had a similar problem at the beginning, before changing the minidlna.conf i forgot to
stop mindlna > /etc/init.d/minidlna stop
> this lead to a corrupt files.db and inotify never worked again ...
/etc/init.d/minidlna stop
rm /var/lib/minidlna/files.db
[if i change something in the conf i started to remove album art cache, as well]
/etc/init.d/minidlna start

and important > patience that means you can go to your girlfriend and say "now we can talk" or you can go to the fridge ... helps a lot in this situation ...

P.S.: In my first days of excito and minidlna i also had the problem [my fault], that i filled my minidlna.log and my b3 started to act a little strange ... so maybe you have to rm minidlna.log as well ...
HnLn

Post by HnLn »

Cool man removing the database did the trick !!! Tnx so much.

P.S.: how did you know my gf wants to talk all the time ? :-)
Nrde

Post by Nrde »

HnLn wrote:P.S.: how did you know my gf wants to talk all the time ? :-)
I think it's one law of nature.
_NE_

Post by _NE_ »

had the same problem, removed the DB and it was back to fully working.

Thanx.