New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

How do you access your music from the outside?

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
6feet5

How do you access your music from the outside?

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in knowing how you access your music collection from the outside.

I've been using fireplay on my B3, but I'm getting more and more annoyed with it. I can't order music by year (or I haven't figured out how), and more importantly, after some hours of use it starts misbehaving, items disappear leaving empty slots in the list making it impossible to select them, and this is both in IE and firefox, very annoying.

So, what are you using to listen to your music collection when you're at work, school or whatever (if a server is involved, then it must be runnable on a B3)? I've looked at subsonic, but I'm not so sure about the java part, will it perform good. Perhaps icecast or setting up a VPN, I don't know?

I thought I'd save myself some time, testing all kind of software, by asking you fellow bubba users. Hopefully someone has found the ultimate solution, but any thoughts are welcome.

/Johan
MagnusJonsson

Re: How do you access your music from the outside?

Post by MagnusJonsson »

I have a co-worker that do recommend Subsonic.

He claims that it works great to stream to the Android client (I saw it and it looks good) and to his PC at work, but since he runs the server on a regular Linux dist PC he couldn't vouch for how it would behave on a B2/B3. I guess performance might be tricky since it probably (always ?) transcodes data before streaming it.

/Magnus
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Well, Subsonic certainly sounds nice. I guess the transcoding part is voluntary. Thought I should test it, but it wanted to pull in a heckload of dependencies, so I aborted. Anyone tried it?

/Daniel

edit: Just me being stupid. Don't follow the instructions that tells you to install openjdk-6-jre. Install openjdk-6-jre-headless instead, big difference in dependency list. Anyways, I'm testing now. Looks nice. Quite heavy on the server though (completely Java based), so it's a bit slow on the B3...
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Oh.... If it is slow on a B3 I think I'll "abandon ship" on my B2 installation since my B2 is fairly busy running Squeezecenter as is....
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I'm using Fireflyclient. This is java-based and is able to stream transcoded songs, where the normal client cannot. The only problem with this is that you must first log into the Bubba from the internet before you are albe to acces fireflyclient.
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Daniel: I'm looking forward to hear your verdict. I don't need/expect lightning speed, but I will probably not stand it if it's too sluggish.

Binkem: I've been using fireflyclient as well but have hade some issues with it too. One of them is that I can't pause the music. Or better put, the music stops playing as expected, but when I start it again it will always start over from the beginning. I guess I'm too picky... However I don't recognise the problem about having to log in to the bubba first. I'm able to play immediately, without logging in.

/Johan
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

6feet5 wrote:Daniel: I'm looking forward to hear your verdict. I don't need/expect lightning speed, but I will probably not stand it if it's too sluggish.
Well, after a days use I think it's clearly much better than Fireplay (the one that comes with B3). It's a bit slow, but not above my so-slow-I-can't-use-it limit :D

One very nice detail is that there is an Android client as well. Haven't really tried it yet, just started it. If I understand things correctly I have to donate money to get support for Android after a trial period. If it works out good I'll be glad to donate...

/Daniel
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Johan,

I can pause most of the time without any problems. Sometimes the song restarts after pausing, but that's mostly when i forget that i was listening to music before answering a phonecall. Having to log in may be because of the location of the firefly-client on my Bubba (same place as the Fireplay client). I've tried to replace FirePlay with Fireflyclient (so that clicking on the music icon from the site opens Firefly Client) but i haven't managed this yet (even the forum didn't help).

Martijn
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi again,

Daniel offered me a test drive on his installation before I decided (thanks again), and after a quick run I too decided it was good enough. After some initial problems with the router I've now used it for a day or two and I think it was worth the switch from fireplay. But don't expect a swift user interface, after all this is java on a B3, so performance isn't top notch, but still, good enough for me (and more importantly, bug free (so far)).

However, since performance isn't perfect I'm still looking for the ultimate solution :-). I've just started to look at Ampache (currently indexing my collection), but I haven't figured out yet if it will suit my needs (don't even know "if it's a fish or a bird"). I'll keep you posted on this one, and don't forget to post if you know a better solution ;-)

/Johan (Enjoing subsonic in the meantime.)
andreasn

Post by andreasn »

On my router, I've set port 3689 to forward to the ip of the Bubba. I'm then using Banshee on Linux to connect to the DAAP share by entering the ip of my modem through Banshee's "Add remote daap client" menu item when I'm at the office. That works really, really well!
On my Android phone I use the app called DAAP Media Player. It has playback issues, but works okayish until I find a better app.
linuxtrap

Post by linuxtrap »

Hello

Did you try: Musicbrowser? http://musicbrowser.sourceforge.net/
I used it on my NSLU2 but have not been running it for some years.

PT
rjakobsson

Post by rjakobsson »

Have anyone of you tried out OwnCloud?
You can use it to stream music.
rjakobsson

Post by rjakobsson »

I'm currently using http://ampache.org. It works great!
The best thing is that there is an iPhone app - iAmpache.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

I'd just like to note here that in Subsonic 4.7 (which is in beta right now but fully useable) the entire core is rewritten and it's really a lot faster. And if I understand they're also implementing support for ID3 tags. So the two big problems with Subsonic (according to me) are now on their way to get fixed, making it perfect for use on B3 :D

/Daniel
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

Anyone got ampache to work on a b2? I got stuck when configuring the ampache.cfg.php file in the configuration process. I installed subsonic on my b2 but it was too slow so I removed it. Wonder If its worth the try to get ampache to work if its just as slow as subsonic ont this rather slow device.