New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Java on bubba

Discuss development on Bubba
msx

Java on bubba

Post by msx »

so anyone managed to get java running on bubba? any hint?
lelle

Post by lelle »

Blackdown seems to have older versions (like 1.1.8, 1.3.1, etc) for ARM9.

I haven't tried it myself though.

You can download it from http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp. ... 1/arm/rc1/
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

To add to lelles comments

You could also look into sablevm which is available packaged in debian. And as a note it might also be possible to use GCCs GCJ and perhaps crosscomplie your application and then run it on Bubba byt that could be quite some work to get up and running.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
tor

Post by tor »

An interesting Java implementation to test could be CACAO, http://www.cacaojvm.org/ Which recently did a release with a ARM JIT implementation.

/Tor
msx

Post by msx »

Very interesting.. from the FAQ it says it runs 1.5 bytecode and some of the features of 1.5.
I'll try it asap (and report here of course) :)
wmnelis

Information from Sun

Post by wmnelis »

I have been looking into getting a java environment set up on my Bubba since day 1. I have found this information:

http://java.sun.com/javase/embedded/

It looks like Sun supports Java Standard Edition on ARM, but they may charge money for it. Hope this is helpful to someone. I will continue to search.
msx

Post by msx »

hi, interesting page. But i can't see ARM mentioned here. Where did you see it?
Anyway for the rest it looks fitting. It talks about devices with 32 MB of ram..
Download should be free, deployment is not.
msx

Post by msx »

btw i tested CACAO as reported by tor but was unable to make it run..
Tompa

Post by Tompa »

I downloaded an evaluation release of the J2SE (1.4.2) using the link you provided wmnelis, but I haven't been able to install and run it (maybe because my lack of linux experience).

Has anyone been able to install and run those libraries successfully?
msx

Post by msx »

i've tried it too. it didn't worked: it gives an error when executed, resolving library. Looks like some wrong version of gcc or some other stuff.
I'll paste the correct error here this evening.
sc0rp

Post by sc0rp »

msx wrote:i've tried it too. it didn't worked: it gives an error when executed, resolving library. Looks like some wrong version of gcc or some other stuff.
I'll paste the correct error here this evening.
Something like this?

Code: Select all

dl failure on line 765Error: failed /tmp/j2re1.4.2/lib/arm/client/libjvm.so, because /tmp/j2re1.4.2/lib/arm/client/libjvm.so: symbol __divdf3, version GCC_3.0 not defined in file libgcc_s.so.1 with link time reference
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

I also downloaded the Sun evaluation JRE. And the reason for it not to work is most likely due to Bubba having a little to old libc. In the readme it says, "Embedded J2SE for Linux ARM requires a 100% Linux compatible operating system version 2.6.8 or later with a glibc version 2.3.3 or later.", Bubba has glibc 2.3.2 :(

/Tor
msx

Post by msx »

Thanks tor! Anyone tried to upgrade bubba OS, for example with a more recent release of debian or something like Linux from scratch?
Tompa

Post by Tompa »

What would happen if one would try to upgrade glibc to a later version? Is that even possible? Would that risk other bubba packages to break?

/Tompa
tor

Post by tor »

Tompa,

I would say that upgrading glibc should be concidered high-risk. It might work, but most likely it will fail.

/Tor