New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Email problems

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
spoodie

Email problems

Post by spoodie »

I setup my bubba to collect email from my ISP and serve as an IMAP server for a local client, Thunderbird is the software I'm using on my PC. It was all good to start with but recently I've discovered no new emails when opening the client. Which is strange because I'd expect some spam at least. After a bit of investigation I've discovered the postfix process has died and fetchmail will not collect my mail from the ISP:

Code: Select all

SMTP transaction error while fetching from mail.plus.net
If I start postfix and restart fetchmail everything starts to work fine, my mail comes through.

Is fetchmail dependant on postfix and do you have any ideas why the process is dying? I'm fairly good with general *nix, but not so great with mail services. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi spoodie,

The reason fetching mail fails when postfix dies is that fetchmail uses the mta to deliver the "physical" emai to your inboxl.

So to find out what is wrong you need to examine the postfix logfiles to get a clue on why it terminates. This info can be found in the files: /var/log/mail.*

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
spoodie

Post by spoodie »

tor wrote:The reason fetching mail fails when postfix dies is that fetchmail uses the mta to deliver the "physical" emai to your inboxl.
Thanks, that's useful to know.

I've discovered the lines that indicate postfix terminating but they don't mean a lot to me and aren't very descriptive

Code: Select all

Jul 23 13:33:15 bubba postfix/master[1296]: panic: master_wakeup_timer_event: unknown service type: 0
Jul 24 10:48:02 bubba postfix/master[11202]: panic: master_wakeup_timer_event: unknown service type: 0
Jul 25 22:24:12 bubba postfix/master[9943]: panic: master_wakeup_timer_event: unknown service type: 0
Any thoughts?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

yuk
Seeing this error I expect you made a typo in master.cf or main.cf
Did you meddle with these files?