New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Network stopped working on B2

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
johannes

Re: Network stopped working on B2

Post by johannes »

Ok, responding here so that everyone can read. It can be many things, some ideas:

- what network mode was it in? If it was auto mode, and it was conencted as server, it could be that you booted your B2 before you started your router. Hence, it didn't find any other DHCP servers on the network and set itself to router mode, setting 192.168.10.1 and starting to hand out IP addresses. Can this be it? If yes, a b2 reboot will help.

- the other way around, if connected as router (which below indicates?) and in auto mode, could it be that some other stuff on your network lost settings after reboot and acts as dhcp server? IN this case b3 would assume server mode not handing out ip adresses on LAN

The easiest might be to disconnect b2 from your network, reboot it without anything connected, connect your laptop to the LAN port (make sure to turn off any other network interfaces on your mac such as 3g dongles etc that may confuse you). Now you really should get an IP adress.

Other ideas:

- did you have a RAID setup with an external disk? Make sure you boot B2 with that disk connected, or else the home partition might not be available on boot, and this could cause network settings to fail. (However, this should be noted by a fast blinking on b2 after some time, when it detects the failed raid)

- the green/yellow lights indicate 100 or 1000 Mbps connections, and only having green light is normal.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

OK!

Now I can reach the bubba through ssh.
I detached everything but my mac and bubba from the router and lo and behold, there was the bubba. With another IP than what the router is set to give it.

That is very good. But the bubba does not show up as a share in os x, which it has always done before.
I can reach the web interface by entering the IP address, not through bubba.local.

I cannot reach the bubba through smb/afp.

And when I try to enter the web interface as admin I get the message that it cannot be reached through the wan interface. I believe that I have been able to login as admin from my home network before.

The bubba used to identify itself as bubba to the router, but now it says only UNKNOWN.

What to do?
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

IP scanner identifies it as "unidentified hidden device".
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

OK. Some things work, some don't.

I have a reachable web server.
But no e-mails get through. No error messages on either side. Seems to work sending to it, and it seems to work getting the e-mails through imap, but no e-mails come through.

It does not show up as a share in Finder on my mac, and I cannot connect to it manually through afp, even though afpd is running.

I scanned through the syslog but didn't find much that caught my interest (didn't know what I was looking for, though). These lines might be of interest:

Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba kernel: warning: `dnsmasq' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)
Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba dnsmasq[2186]: started, version 2.40 cachesize 150
Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba dnsmasq[2186]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-ISC-leasefile DBus I18N TFTP
Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba dnsmasq[2186]: warning: interface eth1 does not currently exist
Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba dnsmasq[2186]: DHCP, IP range 192.168.10.50 -- 192.168.10.100, lease time 12h
Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba dnsmasq[2186]: reading /etc/resolv.conf
Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba dnsmasq[2186]: using nameserver 81.216.65.12#53
Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba dnsmasq[2186]: using nameserver 81.216.65.11#53
Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba dnsmasq[2186]: read /etc/hosts - 9 addresses
Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba dnsmasq[2186]: using nameserver 81.216.65.11#53
Jan 10 20:30:54 bubba dnsmasq[2186]: read /etc/hosts - 9 addresses

And these:
Jan 10 21:16:15 bubba bubba-networkmanager: Server timed out, terminating
Jan 10 21:16:15 bubba bubba-networkmanager: Daemon terminating
Jan 10 21:16:15 bubba bubba-networkmanager: Shutting down

I just don't know!
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Hard to identify what's going on this way, but the fact that the B2 complains when you try to login to the admin interface would hint that you are connected to the WAN interface. To get full access, you should really connect to the LAN interface.

Most likely thing that happened here is that you dynamically changed things to get the B2 to open itself up completely to the WAN interface, but never actually stored this configuration. So essentially what yo need to do is retrace or reinvent what you did before. Good place to start would probably be changing the firewall policies to accept all.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

jamerson wrote:OK. Some things work, some don't.

I have a reachable web server.
But no e-mails get through. No error messages on either side.
If no error messages mean no messages at all:
This is not possible. The sender must log the start of transaction, and must either log failure or succes. If there's failure, the mail must still be in the queue, or you have a log of discard. If success, the receiver MUST log connection from the sender, and proceedings of the transaction. If you have no logs of the mail transaction, you either did not send mail, you did not look in the correct log file, or you have two seriously mal-configured mail machine :)

OR no error messages mean you get messages, but no error messages:
Then read the non-error messages and see what happened to your mail. Logging is really good in postfix but you must concentrate reading.
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

Sorry I was a bit unclear there.
I tried to send an email to my bubba from gmail, so I haven't seen the logs there. But my mail.log shows nothing of it. Very strange. And I haven't gotten any bounce e-mail to my gmail.

Anyhow. The big issue is that I still can't connect to the bubba over my network. SSH works, webserver works, but not afp/smb.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

please be correct in your statements. If you say "I cant connect" it means you cannot connect over ANY protocol. However, you mean that you CAN connect (as you say that SSH works), it's just that SMB does not work properly.

please run

Code: Select all

apt-get install nmap
nmap -P0 -p 138,139,145 ip.of.your.b3
to see if you can connect to the ports.
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

I am sorry for confusing you with the wrong words.

And to confuse you even more: Now everything works. I have no idea why. Twentieth reboot or so did the trick :). Bubba shows up everywhere. E-mail come through, me be a happy camper.

Thanks all for your enthusiasm and help.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

In the end, the results count. Good job :)