New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

AFP problem after update to 2.4

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
cinko

AFP problem after update to 2.4

Post by cinko »

I am using AFP

I've got a problem after the update to 2.4 (from 2.3).....

Error msg in OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8:

Message from server "b3"

Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead. Check server messages for details. Switching to read-only mode.

Any suggestions?
Ubi

Re: AFP problem after update to 2.4

Post by Ubi »

well you get a error messages that asks you to look at the server messages. That means looking into /var/log/messages on the B3. What's in there that has bearing on your problem?
sameoldme

Post by sameoldme »

this seems to stop me getting access to files on the b3 the log is attached through afp, which is extremely annoying - does anybody know a workround whilst we wait for the next b3 update? I attach the server messages file in the hope that this makes some more sense to others than me and may be of some help

M
Attachments
server_messages.zip
server messages file
(8.29 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

if you google your primary error message you see lots of threads in other fora, and they all seem to point to some corruption in the AFP hidden server files. Please have look around google and see what helps. Your problem is not the B3 per se as I have the same setup and for me AFP is working well....
sameoldme

Post by sameoldme »

Many thanks for your swift reply - and for pointing me in the right direction, a vapid question though; by "primary error message" you presumably mean the pop-up message I get, not the most prominent in my logs?? :oops:
sameoldme

Post by sameoldme »

Of course, a more helpful answer is that this error is caused by a corruption in the netatalk files (Appletalk and associated files). When this happens a useful thing to do is to run the command (from the command line)
"dbd -r <path to server> " where you do not include the inverted commas and you replace <path to server> with, for example, <b3.local>.

You will have to wait some time before the process completes.

This should be more help than the cryptic "look at your error messages and all will be revealed", if it is not clear, please feel free to contact me via the board.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

If I knew the answer I would have posted it in my first msg. But I did not, but did find lots of correspondence on this issue with a single google search. This suggested you did not try to solve the problem that way yourself. As my install of AFP worked fine, it means the B3 setup is not flawed per se, so something else is an issue.

I did not wanted to send you cryptic messages, but only make you search for a solution in the correct place (an AFP-based site, not the B3 site) because that was what I had to do to solve it. In the end it worked because you found out exactly what the issue was, and posted the correct solution back into this forum.
sameoldme

Post by sameoldme »

You are quite right, my assumption was totally out of order, and not in the spirit of this very supportive forum. Please accept my apologies.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

no worries. THanks for posting the solution to the forum. Those actions are what really helps out other users that read this thread 2 years from now.