New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

How to install WordPress or Joomla on B2/B3!?

A collection of tips on howto tweak your Bubba.
edineu

How to install WordPress or Joomla on B2/B3!?

Post by edineu »

Hi guys,

I am super curious to know if there is anyone out-there, that has a clear step-by-step instruction how I can get WordPress or Joomla installed in my Bubba!?

Though I did see some people mentioning more or less how to do it, however it was very unclear and sounded like a death-trap for my dear Bubba. If anyone has a some nice guide lines, I would be most thankful.

Much gracias! :0)

/EMP
Ubi

Re: How to install WordPress or Joomla on B2/B3!?

Post by Ubi »

installing wordpress is crazy simple if you just follow the instructions on the wordpress site. I dont install joomla that often but I doubt it is more difficult than following the recipe on their site either. There are no bubba-specific steps involved, except getting around the default B3 interface. If you make backups of the config files you modify, installing Joomla or Wordpress is completely save *IF* you carefully read and follow the install instructions.

I realize this post isn't a pre-digested manual to install wordpress, but you need to learn how to find and interpret installation instructions yourself to be able to successfully admin a posix system sch as the B3.
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

You may want to change the ownership of your WordPress files to WWW-data.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

that would be very stupid indeed!
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

Why is setting the ownership of WP to www-data such a stupid idea? Who should be the owner then?
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

www-data has the permissions that anyone accessing the site has. So if you give write access to the web server you give write access to everybody in the world. This includes access to config files! Instead, you give read access to the webserver and ONLY write access to the parts of the documentroot that is needed for uploads. This is explained in the installation notes of wordpress and joomla.

Preventing the web server from writing to areas it has no business writing to is the most basic line of defence for a dynamic site.
edineu

Post by edineu »

Ubi wrote:installing wordpress is crazy simple if you just follow the instructions on the wordpress site. I dont install joomla that often but I doubt it is more difficult than following the recipe on their site either. There are no bubba-specific steps involved, except getting around the default B3 interface. If you make backups of the config files you modify, installing Joomla or Wordpress is completely save *IF* you carefully read and follow the install instructions.

I realize this post isn't a pre-digested manual to install wordpress, but you need to learn how to find and interpret installation instructions yourself to be able to successfully admin a posix system sch as the B3.

Hej Ubi,

Thanks for the reply that was nice of you!
Now, the installation process for wordpress dooooesn't really scare me off, its how to get the "installations files" from the installation into the bubba and get it to work or open it.

I'm curious how to get the files then from the intallation in the bubba ?? and how do i open it?

I have installed other CMS systems like drupal, umbraco, joomla and so on in different webhostings site and its easy enough, but i dont how it is with Bubba will i need to do any changes or configuration in my machine?

mucha gracias
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

emm....

Code: Select all

cd /tmp
wget http://wordpress.org/latest.tar.gz 
tar -xzvf latest.tar.gz
but that is so obvious i probably mis-interpret the question. Please clarify
gonk

Post by gonk »

Maybe this will work but I've not tried installing it myself, just saw that a wordpress package is available.

Code: Select all

apt-get install wordpress
... or refer to http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1562