New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Is your B3 with v2.5 available via myownb3.com?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
gonk

Is your B3 with v2.5 available via myownb3.com?

Post by gonk »

Since I updated to v2.5 of the firmware to B3 it won't respond to HTTP from the Internet.

In the firewall settings I have WWW enabled and I don't have any custom firewall rules.

Internally the B3 responds to http://B3/ and http://B3/admin etc. without any problems but no external traffic get response.

From an external Linux computer:

Code: Select all

$ telnet  replacewithyourname.myownb3.com 80
Trying 83.233.200.226...
Connected to  replacewithyourname.myownb3.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1

Connection closed by foreign host.
From an external host's web browser: no answer and blank page.

None of the external hits are logged in /var/log/apache2/access.log
RandomUsername

Re: Is your B3 with v2.5 available via myownb3.com?

Post by RandomUsername »

Do you have any other domains pointing to your B3? I ask because my own domain works but my .myownb3.com address isn't which suggests a problem with Exito's service rather than your B3. Can you access your server by IP address?
gonk

Post by gonk »

I have a CNAME record for whatevermyB3nameis.myownb3.com in the DNS for one of my domains that's it.

A nslookup towards thenameselected.myownb3.com responds with 83.x.y.226 but my current WAN IP-address is 83.x.y.209

Conclusion: Either
  • the myownb3.com service is broken
  • ... or the 2.5 software doesn't update myownb3.com as it should!
Questions:
  • Is where a way to force the B3 to update its record on myownb3.com?
  • Which other dynamic dNS solution can be activated or supported by the B3?
    A how-to instruction would be fine.
gonk

Post by gonk »

<bump>

I've not seen any reply here or on my update to the support mailbox.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Works for us here, so I doubt it is related to the update. I'll check the support system for open issues right now.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

gonk wrote:I have a CNAME record for whatevermyB3nameis.myownb3.com in the DNS for one of my domains that's it.

A nslookup towards thenameselected.myownb3.com responds with 83.x.y.226 but my current WAN IP-address is 83.x.y.209

Conclusion: Either
  • the myownb3.com service is broken
  • ... or the 2.5 software doesn't update myownb3.com as it should!
Questions:
  • Is where a way to force the B3 to update its record on myownb3.com?
  • Which other dynamic dNS solution can be activated or supported by the B3?
    A how-to instruction would be fine.
Same here - an nslookup for myname.myownb3.com gives the wrong WAN IP address.
johannes

Post by johannes »

And in both cases there is no router inbetween the B3 adn internet? I.e. B3 is in router mode?
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

johannes wrote:And in both cases there is no router inbetween the B3 adn internet? I.e. B3 is in router mode?
That is correct.
gonk

Post by gonk »

johannes wrote:And in both cases there is no router inbetween the B3 adn internet? I.e. B3 is in router mode?
I have my B3 in the mode "router + firewall + server" and it is set up accordnig to "Scenario 4" on page 11 och the manual http://download.excito.net/web/B3/B3-UM-eng.pdf
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ok, we are looking into it.
beweb

Post by beweb »

Here (almost) the same.
Difference in use of external router.
Similarity in MYNAME1.myownb3.com service not working.

But after resetting it to a MYNAME2 in admin interface it worked within seconds.
Reseting it to MYNAME3 worked within seconds.
Resetingit ot MYNAME1 resulted to NOT working (aldo the admin interface reports a succesfull action!)

Maybe a lock on some names that where in use at a particular moment?

UPDATE: After 5 minutes MYNAME1 is working. Don't know which action this resolved
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ok, this thread reports two issues:

1) easyfind doesn't update despite changed new IP on WAN (which is connected directly to internet, no router inbetween). Reported by gonk and RandomUsername.

This we cannot reproduce, just tested and it does update for us. Please confirm that you don't have any NAT routers inbetween internet and your B3, either built-in to your modem, or if your ISP has you on a NAT:ed network. I.e. that you have a true public IP on your B3's WAN port.

2) Registering new easyfind-name takes five minutes to work
- This is because of DNS progression, can take up to 5 minutes to work everywhere in some cases.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

johannes wrote:Ok, this thread reports two issues:

1) easyfind doesn't update despite changed new IP on WAN (which is connected directly to internet, no router inbetween). Reported by gonk and RandomUsername.

This we cannot reproduce, just tested and it does update for us. Please confirm that you don't have any NAT routers inbetween internet and your B3, either built-in to your modem, or if your ISP has you on a NAT:ed network. I.e. that you have a true public IP on your B3's WAN port.

2) Registering new easyfind-name takes five minutes to work
- This is because of DNS progression, can take up to 5 minutes to work everywhere in some cases.
Hi Johannes. I do have a DSL modem between the Internet and my B3 but it is set to forward all requests to the B3 (can't remember if I used port forwarding or DMZ). Could this be the reason for it? I use ddclient to keep OpenDNS and ZoneEdit up to date and it works fine - I would expect the easy find service to behave in a similar way. How does it decide if the WAN IP address has changed?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, this is probably it then. The easyfind requires one of two things for it to sense an update:

1) changed WAN IP. This only happens if WAN holds your public IP and is not behind a NAT router (which it seems to be in your case)

2) your router broadcasting _its_ WAN IP change over UPnP-IGD, which B3 listens to. When we built this feature most routers did, but it seems like this is not true anymore.

The reason for doing this kind of standalone system is that we don't like the principle of "calling home" which other systems use, mainly for privacy reasons. Now B3 only "calls home" when there is a need to update the DNS, not pinging all the time.

However we will update this system, it's one of teh things closest in our pipeline, since more and more people are behind NAT nowdays we don't have much choice.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

With reference to 1), how does it detect it? ddclient just uses whatismyip.com which works behind NAT.