New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

No access with username.myownb3.com

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
BadTicket

No access with username.myownb3.com

Post by BadTicket »

I have no idea why, but my B3 is never accessible under username.myownb3.com
What could be the problem? Maybe it's because I use the FTP port 21 for another NAS, and when I check the FTP-protocol of my software I see that the connect goes to the other NAS, but how could I change that for contacting the B3?

THX and Heavenicetrip! Fe/2
nobody

Re: No access with username.myownb3.com

Post by nobody »

please be so kind to define "accessible", as the information you gave up till now is cryptic and insufficient to diagnose. For example "I use the FTP port 21 for another NAS" makes no sense at all if you do not also explain the network setup or even the machine on which port 21 is located.
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

OK, sorry for less information... I checked the network, here's my setup:

1. Cablemodem
2. AirPort Extreme Router -> then split to several devices including two NAS:

NAS1: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+
This I can reach with a port forwarding (port 21) from the router to the fixed IP of the ReadyNAS

NAS2: Excito B3
With activated username.myownb3.com. At the moment no port forwarding (because I don't know the port that is used to contact the B3)

The question is now, how can I contact the B3 by FTP or SFTP?

THX and Heavenicetrip! Fe/2
nobody

Post by nobody »

It seems the problem is in your AirPort Extreme Router, not the B3. On the B3 there's a few ports open, depending on your settings (which you did not provide). Port 80 is the best bet, as it is the HTTP port for the web gui.

For questions on how to set up your AirPort Extreme Router, please ask in a relevant forum for that product.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

In a word: you can't (well strictly that's three words, but you get the idea)

username.myownb3.com just translates to the IP number that is assigned to your internet connection. From that point on your external router can forward traffic based on port numbers and you set it to forward FTP to your other NAS device. From what you say this is exactly what happens if you target ftp://username.myownb3.com

A workaround is to create new forwarding rules with port translation, e.g. you let your router forward port 42 to the B3 port 21 (ftp) and port 41 to the B3 port 20 (ftp-data). Obviously this also adds additional requirements on the network from where you want to access the B3 as simply accessing ftp://username.myownb3.com:42 may get you connected but not transfer any data because the local firewall doesn't recognize this as ftp traffic.
virus

Post by virus »

Check the DNS-Way by "ping username.myownb3.com" in shell (commandline), you get an ip => xyz.xyz.xyz.xyz
Now you go on "whatsmyip.de" with Firefox/IE and check your displayed ip again, they have to be the same! OK? Thats the way to you...

An now you have to "Port Forwarding" the Ports from outside to inside on every Router with NAT function! =>Google ;)

2 FTP devices on FTP Port 21 (outside) is not possible! One have to change from Port 21 to eg. Port 42... (see gordons post...)

Greets
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

Thanks for the help.
It's really strange, but other ports than 21 are not possible anymore since I change to a cable modem. So for me it's not that big problem anymore, because I can reach the main NAS, the other NAS is not so important...