New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Old default admin password remains operational after change

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Rick_B3

Old default admin password remains operational after change

Post by Rick_B3 »

Hi

I have a B3 and changed the "admin" default password. The new password works for access via B3 "webpages", (and the old default password does not).

However, using a Windows 7 file browser (Windows Explorer) on the network to get into \\b3\home\admin\, I still have to use the old default password for admin which is also admin. How do I change this password - as Windows networking should not be able to get access via the old default password?

There is no way I am exposing my B3 to the internet with a default password in operation on the device!

firmware v: 2.5.1.2

Thanks.

Rick
Gordon

Re: Old default admin password remains operational after cha

Post by Gordon »

How did you change that password?

Samba (that's the "Windows" server) has a separate password store. The usual configuration with Samba servers is that users do a domain logon and then change their password from within Windows. Samba then offers a dialogue that changes both the Samba password and the system password. Something similar should happen if you change the user's password within the Bubba web interface, but my guess is that you changed the password in a terminal session - correct?
nobody

Post by nobody »

In the shell the command to use is smbpasswd
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/man ... swd.8.html

However, your argument about exposing the b3 to the internet is a lottle moot, as the network sharing part of the b3 (i.e. The samba part) is not exposed to the internet unless you specically hack it to make it so.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Correct...

I tend to overlook the part that is most important to people asking, I guess. Having the old password on Windows file sharing (i.e. Samba) does not mean that this old password can be used for other services. In fact: the B3 will not even allow admin login to the web interface if you're on the WAN side, so unless you tweaked that or opened up the SSH port in the firewall there is no easy access for anyone on the outside to make changes to your B3. As far as safe goes, Excito did a pretty good job here.