New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Fireplay permission? [SOLVED]

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
mintz

Fireplay permission? [SOLVED]

Post by mintz »

I restricted the user access of storage folder for my local users only (chmod 770). Everything works fine but the fireplay media player doesn't find any song at all. I figured out it would be a permission problem so I chmod 775 but still nothing showed up. What am I doing wrong here?

Also, I would like to know which user is running the fireplay flash player . Maybe adding it to the trusted group would help.
Last edited by mintz on 05 Jan 2013, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeseboy

Re: Fireplay permission?

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Mintz,

Keep the folders at 755 and the files as 644, should be safe
yourusername:users should be the owner of the files in /home/storage/music.
The web interface should be running through apache2 so the user is most likely www-data.
The problem is probably the underlying DAAP streaming service - might have got effed-up by your file permission changes. Try disabling it an then re-enabling it again in the web interface.

Or (presuming a reasonable updated B3):

Code: Select all

$ sudo /etc/init.d/forked-daapd stop
Stopping RSP and DAAP media server: forked-daapd.
$ sudo mv /var/cache/forked-daapd/songs3.db /var/cache/forked-daapd/songs3.db.bak
$ sudo /etc/init.d/forked-daapd start
Starting RSP and DAAP media server:     main: Forked Media Server Version 0.19 taking off
forked-daapd.
$ sudo tailf /var/log/forked-daapd.log
Then watch it rebuilding the DB (could take hours, depending on the size of your collection).
Might be a good idea to restart apache again afterwards, or at least clean out the cache on the browser you used - but just guessing here :-)
mintz

Post by mintz »

Thanks, bud!
This worked out wonderfully.
I added www-data and mysql to the trusted group because it was complaining about permission (again :D). This way I could still keep the 770 permission and get the music flowing.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Glad I could help.
Think only of this:
Both apache2 (which could be susceptible to attacks) and mysql (which has no root password by default) will have full write access to your files...

Sent from my GT-I9305N using Tapatalk 2
mintz

Post by mintz »

I totally didn't think about it. One wrong mysql query and my whole library would be messed up. I guess I will just made the whole storage folder read-only (chmod 755). The torrent client can own the downloads folder all by itself instead of by group-association.
pompopom

Re: Fireplay permission? [SOLVED]

Post by pompopom »

in /etc/forked-daapd.conf you see the uid:daapd

folder where songs3.db is located is owned by dnsmasq:root (why that is out of box this way I haven't figured out) at least that's what I noticed yesterday while having same problem. I just changed folder owner to daapd.

Code: Select all

chown daapd:root /var/cache/forked-daapd