New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

rtorrent installation gone bad - weird issues

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
tor

Post by tor »

Oh, you dont need to do it that complicated.

Do a loop mount of the image somewhere and edit the file "inside" the image.

(Densed description.)As root:

Code: Select all

mkdir mnt
mount -o loop bubba.img mnt/
cd mnt/"path_to_file"
"edit file"
cd "out of mounted directory"
umount mnt/
Copy image onto usb mass storage device partition nr one.

Cross fingers and boot of it.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
bubbalibre

Post by bubbalibre »

And you could use Cygwin to use a GNU/Linux command line under Windows (more about Cygwin on Wikipedia).

Otherwise 7-zip may handle these images (I don't have a windows machine to try ATM).

Cheers!
TheEagleCD

Post by TheEagleCD »

HOORAY, my Bubba is alive again!! :)

I followed your instructions and everything worked smoothly. Reinstallation only took like 5 minutes or so (still, 5 very long minutes for me).

Now everything is up and running again and all of my files are still on the hard-drive.

Thanks so much for all the support guys, I really appreciate it!!

Have a good weekend,
Christoph
Bubba, I'm lovin' it
bubbalibre

Post by bubbalibre »

Hey, good news! Enjoy your Bubba again.
tor

Post by tor »

Wonderful,

If the reinstall went that smothly we perhaps should provide a reinstall image as well?

/Tor
TheEagleCD

Post by TheEagleCD »

tor wrote:If the reinstall went that smothly we perhaps should provide a reinstall image as well?
This something I actually wanted to suggest...

Maybe you should still do some internal testing to verify that things are indeed running that smoothly (or you just wait for more idiots like me who mess up their Bubba :wink: ) before you make this "official".

Cheers,
Christoph
Bubba, I'm lovin' it
aha

Post by aha »

Since I also have a tendency to kill my system every now and then,...
Can you publish your image some where?
/Aha
TheEagleCD

Post by TheEagleCD »

Sorry, as I'm currently spending a couple of days with my family I don't have access to my main system where I've stored the modified image.

But it's really quite easy to modify everything according to the comments made in this thread. Chances are that if you manage to kill your system you can also modify the image. ;)

Cheers,
Christoph
Bubba, I'm lovin' it
Zarei

Post by Zarei »

One thing I'd like to see is more creative use of the led for signaling errors. I've managed to crash my bubba and so far haven't been able to reinstall. Waiting 4-5 hours with nothing but a blinking led to watch gets kind of frustrating.

My suggestion would be spell the stage of installing using morse! For example if the drive is being formated, spell format or something like that.

My 2 lowest valued coin in your currency.

Edit: Managed to reinstall from usb with the latest image. Also after switching my switch for another I don't have a problem with bubba disconnecting from the network anymore (well a bit early to tell, but sofar).
Last edited by Zarei on 05 Apr 2007, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
TheEagleCD

Post by TheEagleCD »

I think the best idea is for the Bubba to sequence · · · — — — · · · in case something goes horribly wrong... :wink:
Bubba, I'm lovin' it
tester22

Post by tester22 »

Is the boot image that don't format the hard drive available yeat?

I have a similar problem with my bubba, Firefly and Avahi is running but all other services are down. And I don't have any digital backup of my 150 GB of media files.
tor

Post by tor »

tester22,

We have not, yet, released a reinstall image that does not reformat the unit. But we have released a small rescue image, http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524, if that can be of some help.

/Tor
tomas

Post by tomas »

Does anybody have a "good" way of installing rtorrent? This thread now discusses how to recover from a bad rtorrent installation, but I want to install rtorrent without reinstalling. Any hints?
tor

Post by tor »

The main reason for the problems installing rtorrent from the official Debian repos is that they have their package version of libtorrent and we have ours that we use with the download manager. This making it very hard to install rtorrent without wrecking the system.

I will try to provide an rtorrent package that is built upon our libtorrent version if i get a bit of free time.

/Tor
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

I have uploaded a completely untested, as in use at your own risk, package of rtorrent here http://update.excito.net/testing/pool/r ... -1.arm.deb.

If you test it please let us know how it works.

/Tor