New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Minimal wheezy install images for b3

Discuss development on Bubba
ahoff

Re: Minimal wheezy install images for b3

Post by ahoff »

Is this something to worrry about?:

Code: Select all

root@b33:/home/ahoff/vserver# dpkg -i bubba3-kernel-vserver_3.0.86-1_armel.deb
WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/3.0.86-1/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

No there's nothing to worry about.
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

Perhaps you already know, the repository you're referring to does not provide arm binaries. You will have to compile the tools you need.
Well Im stuck with compiling the util-vserver. I get this far...

root@b33:/home/ahoff/vserver/util-vserver-0.30.215# ./configure
checking for openpty... no
checking for openpty in -lutil... yes
checking for used crypto API... auto
checking beecrypt/beecrypt.h usability... no
checking beecrypt/beecrypt.h presence... no
checking for beecrypt/beecrypt.h... no
checking for NSS... no
configure: error: internal error
root@b33:/home/ahoff/vserver/util-vserver-0.30.215#
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I get it now - the subject was changed after this thread started. We're not trying to recompile the kernel, but trying to patch it for vserver...

Did you read this page?

First, install the required packages for util-vserver to compile.

apt-get install vlan dietlibc-dev pkg-config libnss3-dev
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

I have updated the kernel packages to include missing IPv6 support. You can download them from the same links. Good luck and have fun with vserver, don't forget to keep us updated with your work !
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

Well, I think I'll start a new "Vserver" thread and let you folow my progres from there.
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Tried to install your wheezy-image (b3-wifi-wheezy-minimal-20130705-1950) yesterday, but failed miserably.
The Installation worked and the files were correctly copied to the drive.

I was slightly confused for the first time, when the SSID of the pre-configured wireless network was not the promised "bubba" but "b3".
You also should add quotes around the password, since it took me another 15 minutes to figure out, that "!" was also part of the password and not a part of the sentence.

But even after connecting via wireless, I was not able to lease an IP via DHCP. It appears the Image is preconfigured to act as a DHCP-Forwarder, because it forwarded DHCP from my router via the connected ethernet-port to the wireless.
I used the rescue-key live-system to change one of the ethernet-ports from manual to dhcp. But I then encountered a problem, which caused me to give up on trying to install the wheezy-image.

SSH did not work for a reason I was neither able nor willing to find out.
I just found out, that the port is closed.
That was the point when I gave up and restored my thankfully backed up debian-squeeze installation.

Incidentally I just figured out, that I probably did not have to install the wifi-image, just because my B3 is a wireless one. The difference is just the enabled wifi-hotspot, right?
And the no-wifi-version (2346) is probably more up to date than wifi-version (1950).

Can someone please advise me before I do the whole shebang again?
Last edited by Stryker on 18 Oct 2013, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

Stryker wrote:
But even after connecting via wireless, I was not able to lease an IP via DHCP.
Read the third reply...
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4477#p22912
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

ahoff wrote:
Stryker wrote:
But even after connecting via wireless, I was not able to lease an IP via DHCP.
Read the third reply...
You offered a solution that did not match my problem. That file does not exist in the image-archive and therefore probably will not exist after installation (already reinstalled my backup).
Also this error was promised to be fixed in the downloadable images.

DHCP started working after I switched one of ethernet-ports in /etc/network/interfaces from manual to dhcp, but the problem is SSH.
I cannot login via ssh, since the port is closed.

And the second question was, is the no-wifi image more up-to-date than the wifi one and does the actual hardware-version of the B3 (no-wifi, wifi) matter when choosing the install-image?
Do I have to pick the wifi-image when I own a wifi-B3 in order to be able to use its wifi-card?
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

What happened to the post above ? Did the author delete it ?

Nevertheless I did read it this morning and updated my first post : the wifi SSID was incorrect and I put quotes around passwords.

ahoff: the persisent rules files are removed from both images, so it's not needed to remove them manually anymore.
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

MouettE wrote: ahoff: the persisent rules files are removed from both images, so it's not needed to remove them manually anymore.
Ok.
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

I do not know why, but someone either deleted or hid my two previous posts without any kind of feedback to me.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Stryker wrote:I do not know why, but someone either deleted or hid my two previous posts without any kind of feedback to me.
This is weird. All your posts were awaiting moderation. This is standard procedure for new posters, question seems to be why they first were visible and then disappeared. I've approved them now, I guess someone with higher moderator-fu than me could understand what happened...

/Daniel
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

well... Everything seems to be normal as of now.
back to topic: SSH login does not work with the wifi-image.

I will try to install the no-wifi-image tomorrow and see if that works out for me.
Apparently choosing which image to use is not related to whether your B3 came with a wireless-card or not, right?
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

Stryker wrote:the no-wifi-version (2346) is probably more up to date than wifi-version (1950)
The names may be confusing, but the images are almost identical. I create the wifi version first, then disable wifi through configuration and make the nowifi version. The no-wifi is younger but the content is the same except for wifi and network configuration.
Stryker wrote:Apparently choosing which image to use is not related to whether your B3 came with a wireless-card or not, right?
If you try a wifi image on a non-wifi b3 it probably won't work very well. However using the nowifi image on a b3 with wifi will work. But I don't think that this is related to your ssh issue.
Stryker wrote:
ahoff wrote:
Stryker wrote: But even after connecting via wireless, I was not able to lease an IP via DHCP.
Read the third reply...
You offered a solution that did not match my problem. That file does not exist in the image-archive and therefore probably will not exist after installation (already reinstalled my backup).
Also this error was promised to be fixed in the downloadable images.
The file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is created on boot if it doesn't exist. it associates mac adresses with network devices names ethX. This guarantees that theses names remain constant after the next boot. It must not be present on the image, but it will exist after the first boot of the device, which is expected.
Stryker wrote:well... Everything seems to be normal as of now.
back to topic: SSH login does not work with the wifi-image.
That is strange. By default the server listen on all cards and there is no firewall. A closed port means that either the ssh server did not start or failed to start. I assume you can ping your device. Can you check (or send) the content of /var/log/auth.log from rescue ?