New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Printer HP Photosmart

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
LarsH

Printer HP Photosmart

Post by LarsH »

Hi

I'm still using my B3 wihtout any updates as it came from Excito.
I have reinstalled my pc and after that I can't use my printer which is connected to my B3.
The problems seems not to be my B3 instead the driver to the printer HP Photosmart 3200 doesn't exist any more on HP homesight and I cant use my original cd from HP since it is win 10. Before I reinstalled my PC it was win 10. The driver was original installed on my pc when it was win 8. I understand that this is not a problem within B3 but would appreciate if I could get some help.
LarsH

Re: Printer HP Photosmart

Post by LarsH »

I found a driver for win 8 that I could install, but when I run the program from HP it can't find the printer probably since it is connected directly to the B3. Does anybody know What I should do now ?
LarsH

Post by LarsH »

I tried instead to install the printer directly to my PC and it worked the driver where installed. After that I connected it once again to the B3 and same result as before my PC cant find the printer. What should I do ?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Unsure about Windows 10, as it appears that Microsoft is intended not to allow users to control their own machines any more, but it used to be possible to simply change the port settings on an existing printer, i.e. move it from LPT1 to LPT2, or to a network URI.

The other option would be to let Cups on the B3 handle the actual printer commands. Cups is internally Postscript, so it should be possible to register the printer as some generic Postscript printer in Windows after sharing it through Samba on the B3.
LarsH

Post by LarsH »

I can't remember how I fixed this originally. But how should I have done this if it would have been win 8?
I can't remember this but I think it was was very easy.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Well, as it happens my wife brought a company laptop back home and needed to print something. Since my printer was not supported by the OS I went for the (more or less) generic postscript method, but it still needed some fiddling because Cups for some reason would not recognize the output as postscript.

In the end I came up with this:

1: make sure the printer works with your B3 -> go to https://b3:631 and print a test page

2: edit the Samba conf (/etc/samba/smb.conf) and add an entry like this:

Code: Select all

[HP_LaserJet]
   printing = bsd
   comment = HP Laserjet 2100
   path = /tmp
   guest ok = yes
   printable = yes
   print command = /usr/local/bin/smbprint %s HP_LaserJet
   use client driver = yes
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -PHP_LaserJet
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -PHP_LaserJet %j
   browseable = yes
3: create an executable file "/usr/local/bin/smbprint" with the following content

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/ps2ps $1 - | /usr/bin/lp -d$2 && rm $1
(if you like you can add other features to this file)

4: On the Windows machine, link to the Samba shared printer and when asked what driver to use select the first postscript driver listed with manufacturer HP (on my wife's laptop that was Color Laserjet 2500 PS).
LarsH

Post by LarsH »

Ok, thanks