New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

FreeBSD or any other still supported os on Bubba 2?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
axm

FreeBSD or any other still supported os on Bubba 2?

Post by axm »

My little toy that still just runs. Makes me wonder if excito would have had more success with worse hardware ...

This summer I planned to reinstall a clean Debian on it only to discover Debian abandoned the powerpc architecture after jessie. So I have been looking around for operating systems which will still support this for some time. I decided to give FreeBSD a try, but have been hitting walls trying to find out if it will boot at all (it's complicated, I have been buggering the FreeBSD forum, see https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/moun ... -pc.67323/ for the current state).

Has anybody had any success running other operating systems, *BSD or other?

(There is an old thread which is basically the same thing, but I decided against reviving it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2401&hilit=bsd&sid= ... 3e53aa7ddd )
Gordon

Re: FreeBSD or any other still supported os on Bubba 2?

Post by Gordon »

I assume you did not look inside the development forum?
axm

Post by axm »

I _thought_ I did. But when I do now I think I was mistaken, seems there are at least Gentoo users out there I was not aware of. Thanks.
beatgr

Post by beatgr »

Gentoo Linux discussion page.

Ethernet plus WiFi Bridge Router and Firewall (April 22, 2018)
Set up your Gentoo Linux box as a 802.11 (WiFi) bridge router, with firewall.

If you have a WiFi (802.11) adaptor and two Ethernet adaptors fitted to your Gentoo box, you can configure it as a bridging router and firewall.
“... these instructions were originally prepared for the Excito B3, an ARM-based mini-server.”
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ethernet_p ... d_Firewall
axm

Post by axm »

Don't get the specific relevance for bubba 2. I was looking more at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5958
beatgr

Post by beatgr »

I would send a note to Sakaki, so this can be addressed in custom B2 profile.
Development Section of Excito Forums
http://www.forum.excito.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&start=15

“At some point in the future I hope to roll out a custom profile for the B2 (as I have for the B3 and RPi3) so that distributing these kinds of mask (and USE-flag) changes can be automated.” -sakaki

**I retired my B2 in 2016, before these recent developments.
Currently using Excito B3 — acquired from “netdiskountsdeals” on eBay (nice price) with a WD Red 3TB.
Using the Sakaki & Gordon’s Gentoo image for B3.**
http://www.forum.excito.com/viewtopic.p ... 599#p28599

greg
Last edited by beatgr on 05 Sep 2018, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
sakaki

Post by sakaki »

Hi -

I've just released version 1.5.0 of the Gentoo live USB for the B2 - please see my post here.

This bootable image has a custom (17.0-based) profile, uses a 4.9.72 LTS kernel, and has weekly-autobuild binhost backing for the installed packages (which are up-to-date against the Gentoo tree on 3 September 2018, as shipped).

Nice to see there are still some B2 users out there ^-^

hth,

sakaki
axm

Post by axm »

Thanks, can't wait to test it, sadly I have some other things to do first...
axm

Post by axm »

I finally got around to it - your work is much appreciated :). It has been about 20 years I tried Gentoo last - so I was curious as well. Sadly, it seems Haskell support is almost nonexistent in Gentoo, which is a deal breaker for me :(.

Getting Haskell to run on ppc is becoming more and more painful. This is not specific to Gentoo, the last ppc-Debian and FreeBSD are no real exceptions. Debian worked ok-ish while it lasted, now my hack starts to cause Segmentation faults. FreeBSD would probably not be much better.

I might have to reevaluate my "hardware is still good!" approach just to limit the exotic stuff I have to deal with :(.
axm

Post by axm »

At least with this distribution, lang/ghc is masked and failed to emerge (with a non obvious error message to me - which I failed to persist - not a oom error ;) ). It was a pretty old version anyway - but I could have lived with that. Furthermore, I consider stack a must for me - which also failed to install (there is an old version of slack in the repository which I did not try but should be abandoned by slack for a long time).

Remember: this is about ppc which seems to make a huge difference.

Do you think I should push farther in this direction and it *should* all be working just out of the box? I would be happy to hear about other users with that setup and working ...
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

What version are you trying to build?

According to the listing HERE version 7.10.3 has a (experimental) ppc target and version 7.8.4 should not be masked at all on ppc. It looks you can even simply fetch prebuilt binaries for these versions by specifying USE=binary
axm

Post by axm »

Not sure which version, I expected 7.8.
emerge lang/ghc
I rememembered now: the dependencies could not be resolved. I guessed that was related to it being marked (output of emerge -s).