New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Portable mediaplayer

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
ian

Portable mediaplayer

Post by ian »

I was wondering if anyone has come across some sort of portable streaming media player, which can be carried around the home (and into the garden/garage if necessary) and can still play music off the bubba (ie. something like a portable Soundbridge).

Cheers, Ian.
Eek

Post by Eek »

How about the Freecom MusicPal ?
http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail ... ID=1148000
I have one and it works great!
cheers
Eek
ian

Post by ian »

Hi Eek,
thanks for the suggestion. Although it's not truly portable (due to a lack of battery power), I went ahead and bought one anyway. So far, it works fine, apart from one peculiarity.

Some artist names do not appear in the list of artists (ie. The Smashing Pumpkins), even though their albums (ie. Zeitgeist) do appear in the list of albums. A similar problem occurs for Genres, where some appear and some do not.

This problem does not appear when browsing via a Soundbridge or via iTunes, so it is clearly MusicPal related (it is running the latest FW). Any suggestions?

Cheers, Ian.
johannes

Post by johannes »

A little late maybe, but one that's also semi-portable is the Soundbridge Radio. I don't think it has batteries, but is has quite high quality sound for it's size. A bit too expensive though.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Eek

Post by Eek »

Hi
It should appear in the artists list.
maybe it is a mediatomb thing.
it did not pickup the MP3 tag.
you can check it in the mediatomb
http://bubba:49152/
cheers
Eek
ian

Post by ian »

Hi Eek,
thanks for the reply. I took a look at Mediatomb, and "The Smashing Pumpkins" do appear under Audio > Artists.

I tried it again on the MusicPal, and noticed something weird. If I browse by Artist and select T..., the only band starting with The is "The The".

However, if I browse Artist > All, then "The Smashing Pumpkins" appears as you would expect (although using this list is much slower). It seems that the alphabetical lists are incomplete for some reason.

Anyway, not to worry, at least the music is there somewhere...

Cheers, Ian.
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi,

Maybe they are sorted under "Smashing Pumpkins"? I've noticed some media players omit the initial "The" when sorting artist name. "The The" have no other name but The :-)

Just a thought...

/Johan
ian

Post by ian »

I had already considered that, but unfortunately it's not the case. The Smashing Pumpkins do not appear under P, S or T....
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Ok, how about the ID3 tags and different versions? Could it be that the two read different versions of the ID3 tag? Say Mediatomb reads v1 that has all information, but the player read v2 where only part of the tags contain information.

Just another though....

/Johan
ian

Post by ian »

The thing is, The Smashing Pumpkins appears in the right place in the full list of artists on the player, so there's apparently nothing wrong with the tag info (or the player's ability to read it). The problem with this list is that it is very slow to load, making it a bit tedious to use...