New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

New product released

Announcements from Excito
Hammer

Trhuput?

Post by Hammer »

What is the thruput in Mbps for the router functionality?

If its >20 Mbps it is a very interesting option to use after the broadband modem!

Firewall, is it ipchains or something equal?
Content filtering and packet inspection, does this exist?

What would make this a killer box is imitating Bluecoat functionality, but the hardware might be too weak, even for SOHO users?

Cheers,
Hammer
andersos

Post by andersos »

I plan to use Bubba|two as router/firewall. These two tasks have been said to be suitable for the new Bubba, so probably troughput will be sufficient for home usage at least, but I don't know. I'm going to use Shorewall for firewall.
pa

Post by pa »

Hi,

Bubba|TWO is using iptables, but currently no user interface for packet filtering and inspection exist.
Basic functionality such as opening and closing ports for integrated services as well as adding portforwards exist.

I can not give exact numbers for throughput as of now, but I can say so much as that reaching 20Mbit/s is no problem... :)

/PA
DanielM

Re: Trhuput?

Post by DanielM »

Hammer wrote:What would make this a killer box is imitating Bluecoat functionality, but the hardware might be too weak, even for SOHO users
I don't think that something like privoxy is very demanding on the hardware. Should be no problem runnin that on Bubba...

/Daniel
4season

Wattage

Post by 4season »

Wow, more features and lower power consumption? That's pretty impressive. Now if only the USD<-> Euro exchange rate would improve...
trencarbe

Post by trencarbe »

I've been searching for a home solutions and I am glad I found Bubba2! However, I have some questions:

* I was planning on converting the DVR-MS files from my MCE2005, will Bubba2 gonna make it in a convenient time (during night?) or will it eventually roll over and die on me? :-)

* Having an internal (SATA?) disc, will it later on be possible to create a RAID1 with the external SATA disc? (I've already seen the tech specs, but the question is whether the RAID is possible with an external drive)

* Will the memory be upgradable (doing it after the warranty period...)?

Thanx in advance for your answers!

/TC
johannes

Post by johannes »

trencarbe,

* Regarding converting your DVR-MS I really can't tell. The CPU should not be all too bad at these things, but we haven't done any tests yet.

* Yes, the RAID will be with internal and external disk (possibly also between two external disks, but this isn't planned right now)

* Sorry, but the memory is not upgradeable, it's soldered directly on to the board.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
trencarbe

Post by trencarbe »

good enough!

Thanks for the answers! Forgot one obvious:
When will Bubba2 be available on the market?
johannes

Post by johannes »

First shipments within 2 weeks, but we have a quite long list of preorders that have priority, so perhaps 4-5 weeks right now. Sorry about that, hope you can wait. :)
trencarbe

Post by trencarbe »

I'll try to survive... :wink:

Thanx again for the fast answers!
John W

Post by John W »

johannes wrote:First shipments within 2 weeks, but we have a quite long list of preorders that have priority, so perhaps 4-5 weeks right now. Sorry about that, hope you can wait. :)
I would like to see some photos of the unit itself...
Do you got any that you can share with the community?

Thanks!
sc0rp

Post by sc0rp »

John W wrote:
johannes wrote:First shipments within 2 weeks, but we have a quite long list of preorders that have priority, so perhaps 4-5 weeks right now. Sorry about that, hope you can wait. :)

Thanks!
You want other ones that can't be found here:
http://www.excito.com/bubba/download.html
GettinSadda

Post by GettinSadda »

sc0rp wrote:
John W wrote:

Thanks!
You want other ones that can't be found here:
http://www.excito.com/bubba/download.html
Except they are not photos; they are CAD renderings.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, you are right. No photos available yet I'm afraid. Coming soon.
trencarbe

Post by trencarbe »

* Yes, the RAID will be with internal and external disk (possibly also between two external disks, but this isn't planned right now)
I vote for being able to have this solution as well, parallel to the one you wrote about. One could choose which solution to use.
It seem cumbersome to backup all the data from the built in hard drive every time a maintainance installation is done.
I'd like it to have it this way:
- use the internal hard drive as a system drive only and have all the personal stuff on two external drives, having RAID between those two. The internal hard drive can then be formatted and played with without bothering to backup the personal stuff.

I'm curious on your comments!