New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba TWO disappeared from my network

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
roelof

Bubba TWO disappeared from my network

Post by roelof »

My problem is my Bubba TWO has disappeared from my network. When it got here, I attached it to my router and changed the router's IP address to 192.138.10.1. Bubba became visible, I gave it a new fixed IP address and switched its DHCP server capabilities off. I used port forwarding on the router to get to Bubba from the outside, configured it as a SMB server and logged in using Putty. I installed new packages with apt-get and was thrilled.

My happiness lasted three days. Now Bubba has disappeared. I can switch it on, its blue light on the front and green light on the back come on and it starts humming merrily, then goes silent. But it isn't visible as a SMB server on my Windows network, I cannot login using Putty and it doesn't respond to my pings. Neither does it act as a DHCP server.

So my Bubba has become a black box to me. I have run out of ideas on how to reconnect. Can anybody help me here?
davidI

recovery

Post by davidI »

The USB install image that can be downloaded from
http://www.excito.com/bubba/download.html

contains a recovery system. Follow the instructions in the manual (near the end of the manual) to place this image onto a USB stick and then browse to the stick. You will find a file called bubba.cfg with the contents below.

First option is for a rescue system. I have not used that, but have used the option to re-install by setting the PARTITION and FORMAT options to zero. These prevent the /home directory from being removed and re-created (empty). They worked for me.

YMMV.

David

#
# Default config for bubba installer
#

# Should we install at all?
# If set to 0. Installer will halt leaving a running "rescue system"
DO_INSTALL=1

# Size of system partition in GBs
ROOT_SIZE=10

# Size of swap partition in GBs
SWAP_SIZE=1

# Should installer partition disk
# 1 - Yes
# 0 - No
#
# If no there has to be three partitions on disk:
# sda1 - System partition
# sda2 - Data partition
# sda3 - Swap partition

PARTITION=1

# Should installer format data partition
#
# 1 - Yes, do format
# 0 - No, leave intact
#
# If no, there has to be a sda2 data partition on the disk
# (System partition will always be reformatted on an install)
FORMAT=1

# Should installer try to set date and time on board
# 1 - Yes
# 0 - No
SETDATETIME=1

# Should data partition use LVM when partitioning and formatting
#
# 1 - Yes
# 0 - No
#
# Don't change this one if you aint really sure what you are doing!
#
USELVM=1
squadra

Post by squadra »

what i did: turned fixed ip bubba off instead automatic used, sometimes my router gave anther ip to my bubba and i didn't know how to change that so i changed from fixed to dynamic. If bubba is not accessible anymore (what ip is in your router table showing the bubba??) i think option to reset system only is best.
roelof

So there is hope

Post by roelof »

So there is hope! I'll create the USB stick and try it on my ailing Bubba. The router doesn't see the Bubba either, it's not in its IP address list.

I will let you guys know how I'm doing, thanks for keeping me company in figuring this out, and for your advice. Roelof
roelof

Back again...

Post by roelof »

So I'm back again!

I bought me a 4Gb Corsair Flash Voyager USB stick, formatted it with a FAT32 file system and unpacked the zipfile in its root directory.

My first attempt was to set DO_INSTALL to 0. I carefully followed the directions in the manual and brought up the Bubba. It kept flashing the blue light for (I think) more than 10 minutes and I still couldn't see it on the network.

Then I edited the configfile and used the following settings:

DO_INSTALL=1

# Size of system partition in GBs
ROOT_SIZE=10

# Size of swap partition in GBs
SWAP_SIZE=1

# Should installer partition disk
# 1 - Yes
# 0 - No
#

PARTITION=0

# Should installer format data partition
#
# 1 - Yes, do format
# 0 - No, leave intact
#
FORMAT=0

# Should installer try to set date and time on board
# 1 - Yes
# 0 - No
SETDATETIME=0

# Should data partition use LVM when partitioning and formatting
#
# 1 - Yes
# 0 - No
#
# Don't change this one if you aint really sure what you are doing!
#
USELVM=1

After a while, I could ping 192.168.10.1 (the original IP address), open a browser window and login. I noticed that all users and configuration changes had disappeared. After I had recreated all users I need, I noticed their home directories and all the files I had put in my storage were still there! I was happy.

The USB stick stays where it is and I use it for backups. I can see the contents from my PC, under \storage\extern\disk_0.

Thanks very much for your quick and useful support.

Roelof
roelof

And it's gone again!

Post by roelof »

I shut Bubba down tonight (carefully, pressing the button). This morning, it starts up properly (showing both its blue and green lights) but fails to appear on the network: no SMB, no ping, no www.

I know I can reinstall it again, but that will be a labor intensive solution given that I plan to shut it down now and then.

Any idea why, after a reinstall and configuration leaving the original ip address the same, it would fail to appear on the network after a reboot?

Cheers, Roelof
roelof

Server is back

Post by roelof »

After reinstall from the USB stick, Bubba is back again. I've now configured it to obtain its IP address from the router, and I've reserved the address on the Router, so I know it will always be the same.

Brought Bubba down, rebooted; and it reappeared on the network. :roll:
roelof

Bubba disappearing again, now slowly

Post by roelof »

I've now made absolutely sure that the Bubba is not switched off without a proper shutdown. And I did an apt-get dist-update and an apt-get update, then configured Samba (again). The machine ran great all through yesterday.

After waking up and classes, I switch on my workstation. Bubba shares are not available on the network. But I can ping it. And ah... http://bubba cannot be found on the network, but http://192.168.10.1 can...

What I do is switch off my router every night. I figured this wouldn't be a problem. My problems started with Bubba having a fixed IP address on a network with a DHCP server. Then I changed the settings to have it obtain a DHCP address, but one that is reserved for it. Hm...

Looking at the list of attached devices on my netgear router, I see that the device with address 192.168.10.1 is attached to the router, but without a name...

So now the question is, how do I get that address in the list with a name... And prevent this happening in the future...

Anybody?
roelof

I have a working configuration now

Post by roelof »

I have a working configuration now -- problem solved, with many thanks to the guys who responded and to Excito support.

My network configuration has a modem, then a Netgear WNR854T wireless router to which My Bubba TWO is attached LAN-port to LAN-port. All workstations connect to the router wirelessly.

The Bubba TWO server obtains its IP address automatically both on the WAN and LAN ports (but WAN port is unused). DNS service and DHCP server are switched off.

The router acts as a DHCP server on my network. The server has a reserved address, so that I can be sure what it is. Port 80 is forwarded to the Bubba server using this address.

On the router, in the LAN TCP/IP setup, I've changed the factory settings for RIP direction and RIP version to Both and RIP_1. RIP is the routing information protocol that allows a router to exchange information with other routers.

My problem occurred when I switched the router off or changed the settings. It restarted and then had lost any idea of the existence of my server. My hunch is that RIP allows my router to share iptables with other routers and this helps it to reconnect when it returns to the network after a restart..

I didn't properly test this, nor am I able now to reproduce my problem. And neither do I have the energy to, I'm just glad my problem is solved. I document the solution to help anybody else who might encounter a problem that is related to this one.