New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

IDE cable tip when installing diskless Bubba

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Van da Man

IDE cable tip when installing diskless Bubba

Post by Van da Man »

Hi All,

I bought a diskless Bubba Server, my HD arrived yesterday, and since then I've been breaking my you know what trying to install it all.

Connecting HD went like a breeze, so did getting it all back in the casing, but then all I got was a blinking yellow LED, and a constant red LED (for the HD) and green LED (network) inside my Bubba when firing it up.

No amount of rebooting, reformatting USB's, opening casing, rebuilding everything worked.

Out of desparation (I must be desparate, it's gone 1am here now) I downloaded the technical drawings/schematics in the hope of finding something. Trying to make sense of it all I check the IDE connection schematics.....

Could it be? No way I thought, can't be wrong ex-factory. What the heck, this isn't working, my HD is most probably dead from all my tinkering I figure anyway. So I might as well try it, even though I can't imagine what I think I'm seeing is correct.

My Bubba came with the IDE cable already connected to the motherboard, so I didn't bother checking it. Turns out someone, somewhere between the factory and me receiving it via the post had connected it wrong way round (Pin 1 was connected to Pin 40 or something on the motherboard end). Very NOT cool!

I reconnected everything and fired up my Bubba, and hey presto, USB is blinking away, HD is rattling away being formatted, red LED is flashing most happily and I'm pleased as punch.

And the lesson is? Take nothing for granted, even ex-factory, check IDE cable connection if you have a problem.... and persevere, even if a non techie like me!

Woohoo... I'm in, install and format finished while writing this, all working ok now after 36 hours of tinkering!
johannes

Post by johannes »

Oh, that's strange. We do install all units (with a hd) before shipment, and pack without removing the IDE cable, so I really can't see how this has happened. Anyways, our deepest apologies for your ruined night, and hope you're happy now. :)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)