New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Server Freeze when uploading

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
petmaitwo

Server Freeze when uploading

Post by petmaitwo »

Hi All

I'm a complete newbie to networking. I intend to use my Bubba2 from a firefox interface exclusively and as yet, have no other method of connecting to the server. I have my partial network set up as in scenario 6.

Having difficulty uploading to the Music folder. I'm intending to upload individual songs. Very slow, I expect. In the process of uploading the first file the process hangs completely and freezes the server. the only way I can re-attempt (and fail) with the process is to switch off the server and restart. The file I've been attempting this with is 6661 KB and is an ogg file. Any ideas?
TIA

This only appears to happen in the Music Folder. Is it because it is an ogg file? :?
jws

Re: Server Freeze when uploading

Post by jws »

petmaitwo wrote:Hi All

[..]In the process of uploading the first file the process hangs completely and freezes the server. the only way I can re-attempt (and fail) with the process is to switch off the server and restart. The file I've been attempting this with is 6661 KB and is an ogg file. Any ideas?
TIA

This only appears to happen in the Music Folder. Is it because it is an ogg file? :?
Rule #1 about Linux systems is that they never crash in the way you describe. Individual applications may fail if they have bugs (this should be very rare, because Bubba2 uses software from "Debian stable"), but the system as such won't .. unless there is some kind of hardware problem (e.g. a memory problem).

It looks you are a victim of the "file copy bug" which turns out to have been a problem with "memory timings". A work-around was found recently; during the first stages of boot-up, before Linux starts, these "timings" (whatever they are) are adjusted. See the first message in the "Announcements" section, about "bootloader update". Follow the instructions to the letter, using a usb stick or an external usb disk to install the new "boot loader". It is very likely that your problem will be solved.

Why the problem occurs with the ogg file? Perhaps it just happened to land on a bad patch of memory, while other files were "lucky". But in principle, bad patches of memory should not exist. The "boot loader update" is supposed to take care of that.

/jws
petmaitwo

Post by petmaitwo »

Thanks for the advice. Will update the Bootloader and I expect that to sort the problem. I was surprised that I could transfer an mp3 file but not an ogg file.
jws

Post by jws »

petmaitwo wrote:Thanks for the advice. Will update the Bootloader and I expect that to sort the problem. I was surprised that I could transfer an mp3 file but not an ogg file.
OK.. please let us know about the results.
petmaitwo

Post by petmaitwo »

Updated bootloader file. Very straightforward. I can now upload ogg files onto the server. Hooray!
Thanks very much for your help.