New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba Server 1 will not start

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Alan

Bubba Server 1 will not start

Post by Alan »

My Bubba Server 1 has worked perfectly since December 2006. I stopped it normally from the admin page & when I restarted it, before the start-up was complete, the power was accidentally switched off. Since then it will not start not even with the "full" or "minimal" image. I replaced the hard-disk with an old 20gb model and the installation worked perfectly. I bought a new Seagate Barracuda 250gb to replace the factory 320gb unit and it refuses to install after several attempts. I waited 30 hours before stopping the last installation.

The installation to the new hard-disk did not reach the stage of formatting the disk.

So my Bubba processor card works fine, the three hard-disks have been checked and are in good order, so can anyone suggest my next steps?

Thanks in advance...
johannes

Post by johannes »

So, you are saying that it works good with the 20 GB disk, but not with the original, nor the 250 GB disk?

Make sure you have the disks set to IDE "master" when you try, could that be the issue with the 250 GB disk?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Alan

Post by Alan »

That is correct. So I have tried again with the jumper on IDE "master" with the same result (the factory fitted disk drive was set to CS). The normal boot process seems to start with a hard-disk alignment & a read then the contents of the USB key are read into memory.

In the case of the 320gb & 250gb disks the initial alignment/read is attempted around 35 times and then the contents of the USB key are NOT read and the disk is not spinning.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ok, strange. Could have several reasons, but one may be the power supply, since you say that disks don't spin-up. This might indicate a power failure.

If possible, can you measure the output of your power supply? Should be 12V. If this is the case, we'll simply send you a replacement power supply, quick fix.

If not, I really don't have any more ideas, and the fastest solution would be to send it back for warranty repair. Just email us at support@excito.com with a link to this conversation and we'll provide return instructions. We'll have a look at it within 1-2 days and send it back as fast as physically possible.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Alan

Post by Alan »

The power supply gives 11.55 to 11.63 volts without any load; so I will follow your suggestion.

Thanks for your help, Alan.