New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

BubbaMon now available for Bubba|Two

The wonderful Firefox plugin for Excito's products
6feet5

BubbaMon now available for Bubba|Two

Post by 6feet5 »

Greetings BubbaMon users,

I've finally ironed out the last bugs (that I know of) so here's a new release of BubbaMon, now with support for the new BUBBA|TWO (B2).

What's new
I didn't want to abandon the old BUBBA|SERVER (B1) so I had to rewrite most code to support both platforms. This means I may have introduced old bugs, but lets hope not. Here's a short list of changes:
  • Added support for the new B2.
  • Prepared GUI to support several harddisks.
  • Fixed "ampersand-bug" that caused bubbamon to crash when adding files or displaying files that contained links with an ampersand.
  • Fixed a bug in uptime presentation.
  • Minor changes in preferences window.
  • Several other bugs I've forgotten about.
Note that you need to update your B2 to version 1.0.13 of the bubba software (read more here).

You'll find the bubbamon software at http://thevoid.webhop.info/bubba/firefox/

Enjoy, and merry christmas.

/Johan
Last edited by 6feet5 on 27 Dec 2008, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
lelle

Post by lelle »

Thanks, works great on Bubba2 :D
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Great! Thanks a lot :)
joost

Post by joost »

Terrific! Thanks so much :)
MagnusJonsson

BubbaMon questions

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Hello Johan,

Thanks for updating BubbaMon to fit B2 as well! Really good work!

However I have a problem. I seem to be able to download torrents from for example "The bay" ;-) but I'm having difficulties getting the Intermediate mode to work (yes, the site I'm interested in requires login). Since I'm the Linux / B2 newbie, I'm sure there is something I'm doing wrong.

I have set the "Intermediate as directory" to "\\bubba\storage\downloads\torrents" and have of course created this directory.
However, I'm not sure what to put in the "Intermediate as URI" part. I have tried numerous settings (and also tried to verify them in Firefox address line, but I get Not found error)

Any ideas of what I haven't done or what I should to are greatly appreciated. Keeping the tips on a "dummy" level is also greatly appreciated. :)

Magnus

(What is the meaning of "local webserver" that is referred to on your homepage? Is this something I should setup, or is it what is already running on B2?)
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi,

This intermediate feature seems to be a common problem to most users. I guess I need to figure out a better description of what the different parts are and what they do.

Anyway, the webserver on your bubba have probably not been set up to use that directory. I suggest you use the public_html directory in your home folder (that would be something like \\bubba\username\public_html), and the URI part would then be http://bubba/~username/. Replace username with what ever name you use to log on to your bubba. In my case I would use:
Intermediate as directory: \\bubba\johan\public_html
Intermediate as URI: http://bubba/~johan/

As for "the local webserver", that would actually be any webserver that doesn't require authorization (your bubba is a perfect candidate). And you need to be able to store the file (.torrent) in a folder that is reachable both as a file:// path and a http:// path (the public_html folder is perfect for this).

I am probably not the best person to describe this feature, as I don't use it my self (the idea and code is a contribution from Martin Arvidsson), but here's a new attempt at an explanation (in case you're reading this Martin, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

The whole idea behind the intermediate mode is to move the torrent file from a web server that requires authorization, to a web server that doesn't. The reason is that the FileTransferDaemon (FTD) doesn't support this authorization, but firefox does. So what the plugin will do is to instruct Firefox to download a copy of the torrent file (firefox will take care of the authorization) to a new webserver (this is the intermediate part, the torrent file will make "an intermediate landing" at the new web server). We then trigger an immediate download from this new "local webserver", that doesn't require any authorization. The FTD can now get the torrent file without having to do any authorization, and the file transfer will start.

HTH,
Johan
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Thanks for the quick reply and the good explanation. Obviously not really getting a hang of things I did copy your setup so that I have

Intermediate as directory: \\bubba\magnus\public_html
Intermediate as URI: http://bubba/~magnus/

Since I did not have a public_html folder (at least I didn't see it) I created it (in bubba:/home/magnus) using

Code: Select all

mkdir public_html
chmod 777 public_html
cd public_html
with the response from Bubba
bubba:/home/magnus/public_html#
However, I now get the error message

Bubbamon: "Intermediate directory" is not a valid directory.
NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

I'm also not sure if I should get (when I type http://bubba/~magnus/ in Firefox)

Not Found

The requested URL /~magnus/ was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 PHP/5.2.6-5ex1 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c Server at bubba Port 80

Thanks for having patience.... :oops:
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi,

Oops, my bad, I thought the public_html part was enabled by default (can't remember enabling it, but hey, I have a short term memory :-))

Ok, so you need to log on to your bubba and become root and enable the userdir module in apache

su
<enter password>
ln -s /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf /etc/apache2/mods-enabled
ln -s /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load /etc/apache2/mods-enabled
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart
Now you should be able to access your public_html folder.

/Johan
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply !

I tried to enable the public_html folder by typing your suggested commands. I even added an extra

reboot
just to be sure. But no, unfortunately things are quite the same as before. Error message (when trying to perform an Intermediate download) and no Public_html directory to be found in bubba:/home/magnus#

I'm sure that this issue can be solved during 2009 :)

Happy New Year !

Magnus
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi again,

I noticed you used a upper-case P in public_html. Remember to use lower-case every where. And I also noticed I forgot the home-part in the path above.

The correct path should be:
Intermediate as directory: \\bubba\home\magnus\public_html
Intermediate as URI: http://bubba/~magnus/

/Johan
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Hi again,

Oh, did I use an uppercase? That sure wasn't intentional.

Anyway, to make sure I copied the paths you just gave me (now with \home\ inclusion) but, I'm sorry - it did not help. :(
Still a "Bubbamon: "Intermediate directory" is not a valid directory.
NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND"

What I find is a bit strange is that I can not see the public_html folder. It does not matter if I use Win Explorer (\\bubba\home\magnus) or log on to Bubba using Putty.
I mean, if it is a public folder, I should have no trouble seeing it, right?
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hmm, this is weird. Are you _sure_ you created the folder in your home folder? You should definitely be able to see it. Can you see other files and folders?

I suggest you repeat the whole thing. Log on to bubba (not as root) and do

cd ~
mkdir public_html
chmod 777 public_html
/Johan
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Ahh... My bad... I was logged on as root and I presume that my minor knowledge in this area combined with root status made me create the folder in the wrong place.... :oops:

Anyway, I re-did as you suggested (not being root this time and created the directory) and now I don't get the error message anymore which is a good thing.

The bad thing is that "nothing seems to happen". To try to illustrate this this is what I do:

Right click on the .torrent file and select "Intermediate download".

I then observe

and then nothing more happens. No error messages, no progress at all.

My settings are

which all seem okay according to your excellent tips.

If I select "Intermediate download" on a link, such as http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0813715/

something seem to happen

(also seen in the Putty console)

However, this file is 0 bytes, but this is probably okay since isn't a torrent file.

Maybe the reason why it is not working is probably due to a hang over in either me or in Bubba from yesterday 8)