New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

proposed bubba home system...

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
zander

proposed bubba home system...

Post by zander »

hi,

i am considering the bubba/two for my home. here is the setup i have in mind...

internet<---->cable modem<----->airport extream<---->bubba/two

dhcp interface via airport wifi with macbook, macbook pro, x86 ubuntu, vista pc laptop, psp, palm lifedrive, ...

will this work including backing up with os x time machine?

thank you,

-zander

:roll: :roll:
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I'm not familiar with the airport system, but I guess you should interchange the airport and the bubba so that bubba acts as the firewall between the inbternet and your intranet.
zander

Post by zander »

Binkem wrote:I'm not familiar with the airport system, but I guess you should interchange the airport and the bubba so that bubba acts as the firewall between the inbternet and your intranet.
okay, so in the pictures of the back of the bubba/two there are a couple of cat-5 jacks that are labeled "LAN" and "WLAN". so i do as you suggest using those two jacks?

the modem would plug into the "LAN" jack and the airport would plug into the "WLAN" jack. is that right?

and thank you,

-zander
Hape

Post by Hape »

Again, there is no WLAN port.... Look carefully at the picture @
http://download.excito.net/web/BubbaTwo ... 2_back.jpg
zander

Post by zander »

Hape wrote:Again, there is no WLAN port.... Look carefully at the picture @
http://download.excito.net/web/BubbaTwo ... 2_back.jpg
my bad. so do i plug the airport into the WAN port?
pa

Post by pa »

Hi,

In the case you describe you should plug the WAN port to your cable modem and LAN port to your airport.

Please see the manual for different network setups:
http://bubba-stable/manual/?page=networ ... tions.html

/PA
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

WAN is short for Wide Area network i.e. the Internet (and not Wireless (Local) Area Network) that will be the misinterpretation
zander

Post by zander »

Binkem wrote:WAN is short for Wide Area network i.e. the Internet (and not Wireless (Local) Area Network) that will be the misinterpretation

cool! thank you all.

the next question is if i have the airport should i wait for the wlan option to be deployed?

my thinking is that if i pickup bubba now i will save little money and get a new toy a little sooner. (i want one bad! :wink: )

and if i want to eliminate the airport i could always do that later.

thank you,

-zander
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I did the same. I've got my router behind my Bubba and will get the WLAN option when it appears.
Hammer2

Post by Hammer2 »

What is the issue with WLAN?

I have used WLAN with the Bubba2 since I got it. Just plug in a wireless AP, configure it to accept DHCP or use static, and it's rock'n roll.

/Hammer
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I want to eliminate another power-consuming device that is active 24/7 (the wireless router) so that only the bubba will be active all the time.
zander

Post by zander »

Binkem wrote:I want to eliminate another power-consuming device that is active 24/7 (the wireless router) so that only the bubba will be active all the time.
that is a valid reason to pickup the wlan option when it is finally deployed.
Hammer2

Post by Hammer2 »

Fair enough.

I wonder how much extra power the WLAN option will consume, it's certainly not zero.
zander

Post by zander »

Hammer2 wrote:Fair enough.

I wonder how much extra power the WLAN option will consume, it's certainly not zero.
my airport extream uses a steady 3 watts. that is not much. i can't imagine that the refit would be much better. -the kirchoff laws you know-

bubba 2 now draws 7 to 12 watts (disk dependent). i bet she draws up to 15 once you add the wireless. although it could be as low as 1 or 2 watts. i'll pro'lly use my bubba2 as is until my airport fails.
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

There may be a difference between power consumption at the plug and the power consumption of the device due to the fact that there is a transformer in between. I'm not sure where Bubba's (or the airport's)power consumption was measured.