New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

(Official) support for more harddrives (Bubba Two)?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Boessie71

(Official) support for more harddrives (Bubba Two)?

Post by Boessie71 »

:?: I was wondering if Excito plans to test/support more harddrives in the near future. The number of drives mentioned in the FAQ is very limited. I am especially interested in the support of new 1.5tb drives (ie. Seagate/WD GP).

And what about the alleged problems of Bubba Two with WD GP drives ([url]http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=1554[/url])? Is it wise, given this issue, to have a WD GP drive combined with the Bubba Two?

greetz,

Boessie71
beatgr

Post by beatgr »

I purchased the original Bubba and Bubba|Two w/o hard drives .. to reduce US custom handling charges I pay .. and I prefer to purchase hard drives "in country" for warranty purposes.

I have been happy :) with the Seagate Barracuda SATA/300 hard drive (500 GB; 16 MB Cache) ... ST3500641AS
in my Bubba|Two as well as a Cisco NAS200

I have not yet tried the new 1 TB and 1.5 TB offerings from any manufacturer.

g. beat
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi all,

And sorry for the late response. We haven't officially tried more disks, but we haven't had any reports of any drives not working, so it is my belief that all drives work properly. The only thing to consider is heat generation:

A drive generating more than 10-12W of power is probably not a good idea in a fanless box like Bubba. The cooling is designed for 12W, and to keep the disk temperature down to a reasonable level it's recommended to not use high-power disks (i.e. 10000 rmp disks etc.).

Regarding the WD GP vs Linux issue it's solved in disks shipped from them since september 2008 (approximately), so if you buy a new one now, this is not an issue.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)