New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Do the e-SATA ports support Port Multiplier?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
boerner

Do the e-SATA ports support Port Multiplier?

Post by boerner »

Title says it all...

I was interested in getting a Bubba and connecting it to an external 4-bay storage tower and want to know if will see all the drives. Thanks in advance.
johannes

Post by johannes »

That's a good question, we haven't tried actually. According to specs of our SATA chip it should work, but without testing we can't make any promises.

Has anyone else tested? boerner, is there anything we can do to aid you in testing it? Do you have access to the storage tower? We are also interested in knowing...
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
boerner

Post by boerner »

Hi johannes,

Well, I was about ready to purchase this unit:

http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid/tr4mb.html

to use with a home built server.

There are many other types, but this seemed well built and was fairly inexpensive. I have not purchased the unit yet, nor have I purchased a Bubba. I am a long time lurker in the forum, but was waiting for the SqueezeCenter addon before making a commitment.

I am planning to purchase the tower in any event. If you wanted to loan me a Bubba, that would be nice :-)

Seriously, I could maybe loan you guys the tower before I use it. I work for FedEx in Alaska, USA and get a nice discount on shipping even internationally. Or if you did want to loan me a Bubba I could write some extra docs or do some video tutorials. I used to do that for a living.
andersos

Post by andersos »

Will be interesting to see if it works. And if it works, does RAID also work?
johannes

Post by johannes »

boerner,

I've PM:ed you about a suggestion.
boerner

Post by boerner »

Got it, and sent a reply :-)
BenDavies

Post by BenDavies »

Any success with this, esp. regarding this specific product?
boerner

Post by boerner »

Nothing new to report yet. Still waiting for the wife to approve my purchase order for a Bubba 2 :-)
Lorden

Re: Do the e-SATA ports support Port Multiplier?

Post by Lorden »

Hi,
I have an Stardom ST5610-4S-SB2 which i very much would like to connect to a Bubba Two through it´s eSATA interface. It require port multiplying capability of the host to be able to use all four slots.

What SATA chip is the Bubba Two equipped with?

I´m really impressed by the capabilities of the Bubba Two.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Bubba two has the Silicon Image 3114 PCI -> SATA bridge.

It would be very nice if you let us know if it works!

Thanks,
/Johannes
Lorden

Post by Lorden »

I can give you a report if it is possible to by a Bubba on the premisses of returning it if it does not work with my Stardom ST5610-4S-SB2 ;-)
johannes

Post by johannes »

Of course. We always offer a 30-day "happy customer" warranty, you are free to return it if you for any reason aren't satisfied. The only thing you have to pay yourself is the freight cost. I hope this sounds reasonable?
Lorden

Post by Lorden »

I´m sorry to say but the Stardom ST5610-4S-SB2 with four disk slots is not fully functional with Bubba Two. Only one extra disk is recognized (sdb). There are no sight of the rest. They can not been seen either in the GUI nor in the log files. I have tested both the eSATA and USB interface on the Stardom ST5610-4S-SB2. All four disks is Ext3 formatted.

I´m not a hardware guy but from the info at Silicon Images home page there is no indication that the Sil3114 is really capable of port Multiplying or is there only kernel support missing or something?

Someone with more knowledge might en-light us.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Lorden,

Ok, thanks for the effort, it's good to know at least. If it doesn't work out of the box there probably isn't support in the SiL chip. If you would like to return your Bubba Two, just let us know (support@excito.com) and we'll settle the practical stuff. I hope however that you have grown so fond of it that you'll keep it. :)

All the best,
Lorden

Post by Lorden »

Hi there!
Same question again but this time for the B3.
Bengt