New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba with php4-gd, sqlite??

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
limpo

Bubba with php4-gd, sqlite??

Post by limpo »

Hey,

I really like this little bubba server :), but now I seem to be having trouble installing php4-gd(gd2?) and sqlite support on bubba. Is there someone how can tell me how to do this successfully?.

I have tried with apt-get and installed php4-gd but it wont work, even if I activate gd in php.ini, and restart apache2.

If i try to install sqlite, it will break the default installed bubba package.

I want to have gd support so that I can install a gallery software.
And i want sqlite installed so that I can run punbb on this great machine. Because punbb is really lightweight even on low resource machines, I know(have had punbb installed on a arm9 router with 32mb ram) and it would work great on bubba.

/Limpo
tor

Post by tor »

Hi limpo,

Regarding GD, it sounds like you are doing it right. But how doesnt it work?

Regarding sqlite, install sqlite3 if you can. We depend on that one for the mt-daap package. So installing sqlite(2) might be a problem.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
limpo

Post by limpo »

It seems when I install php4-gd, then it upgrades packages and then removes bubba, which contains the bubba web configurator(and other stuff) and it also removes the sshd_config. So it essentially is non accessible, unless you do a ssh reinstall. I can then get php4-gd working, but then all of the lovely features that came with the bubba package is gone.

As for sqlite3 it also removes bubba on install, and punbb have no support for sqlite3 only sqlite1 and 2. to bad.

Is there another way to succed?

I use debian apt sources,
deb ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/debian/ testing main
deb-src ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/debian/ testing main

/Limpo
tor

Post by tor »

Hi limpo,

I have now double checked the dependencies.

There should not be any problems with installing neither php4-gd nor libsqlite0. Sqlite should be parallel installable with sqlite3.

It is more likely that you are trying to do a general upgrade of the system and one of the upgrades conflicts with our bubba package. This is a known problem.

Either try to only install the parts that you want. IE

Code: Select all

apt-get install  php4-gd libsqlite0
The other way is to temporarily uninstall the bubba package and then reinstall it again after the upgrade. A big warning here though. The bubba package must be installed for regular operation. If one reboots without it you could lose access to Bubba via ssh etc.

/Tor
limpo

Post by limpo »

tor wrote:Hi limpo,

I have now double checked the dependencies.

There should not be any problems with installing neither php4-gd nor libsqlite0. Sqlite should be parallel installable with sqlite3.

It is more likely that you are trying to do a general upgrade of the system and one of the upgrades conflicts with our bubba package. This is a known problem.

Either try to only install the parts that you want. IE

apt-get install  php4-gd libsqlite0
The other way is to temporarily uninstall the bubba package and then reinstall it again after the upgrade. A big warning here though. The bubba package must be installed for regular operation. If one reboots without it you could lose access to Bubba via ssh etc.

/Tor
Hey, Tor

Thanx, for the help. But it dosent work, this is what I do:
apt-setup
I use debian apt sources,
deb ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/debian/ testing main
deb-src ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/debian/ testing main

and then,

apt-get install php4-gd libsqlite0

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
apache-common defoma fontconfig-config libapache-mod-php4 libc6 libdb4.4
libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgcrypt11 libgd2-xpm libgnutls13 libgpg-error0
libkrb53 libncursesw5 libopencdk8 libpng12-0 libssl0.9.8 libt1-5 libtasn1-3
libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxdmcp6 libxpm4 lsb-base lynx php4-common
ttf-dejavu tzdata x11-common
Suggested packages:
apache apache-ssl apache-perl defoma-doc psfontmgr x-ttcidfont-conf dfontmgr
php-pear locales glibc-doc libfreetype6-dev rng-tools libgd-tools gnutls-bin
krb5-doc krb5-user
Recommended packages:
libft-perl libtasn1-3-bin
The following packages will be REMOVED:
bubba libapache2-mod-php4
The following NEW packages will be installed:
apache-common defoma fontconfig-config libapache-mod-php4 libdb4.4
libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgd2-xpm libgnutls13 libncursesw5 libsqlite0
libssl0.9.8 libt1-5 libtasn1-3 libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxdmcp6
libxpm4 lsb-base lynx php4-gd ttf-dejavu tzdata x11-common
The following packages will be upgraded:
libc6 libgcrypt11 libgpg-error0 libkrb53 libopencdk8 libpng12-0 php4-common
7 upgraded, 25 newly installed, 2 to remove and 174 not upgraded.
Need to get 17.4MB of archives.
After unpacking 26.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

And you can then see that the bubba package is removed.
What am I doing wrong.

Thanx
/limpo
tor

Post by tor »

Hmm,

Could you start by only installing libsqlite0 to make sure it doesn't intervene in the process.

The problem with gd seems to be that it tries to replace apache2 parts that bubba depends on, it wants to install libapache-mod-php4 which conflicts with libapache2-mod-php4 that we need. And it wants apache-common while we use apache2-common.

However nothing in the dependencies to php4-gd gives any clue on why this is happening. (http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/php4-gd)

Why this is happening is a mystery. Do you have anything installed or going to be installed that relates to plain apache? (Not apache2 then)

/Tor
limpo

Post by limpo »

tor wrote:Hmm,

Could you start by only installing libsqlite0 to make sure it doesn't intervene in the process.

The problem with gd seems to be that it tries to replace apache2 parts that bubba depends on, it wants to install libapache-mod-php4 which conflicts with libapache2-mod-php4 that we need. And it wants apache-common while we use apache2-common.

However nothing in the dependencies to php4-gd gives any clue on why this is happening. (http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/php4-gd)

Why this is happening is a mystery. Do you have anything installed or going to be installed that relates to plain apache? (Not apache2 then)

/Tor
Hey, thanx for the quick replys! :)

I done reformat/clean reinstalls of bubba, so I have all set up according to default.
And I belive it is possible to just install libsqlite0 without any dependency or uppgrade problem. But this unfortunately will not give me support for sqlite in php4.

As for php4-gd goes, I have every thing installed as default so I dont know why it wants to add support for apache1.3. The only thing that I can think of is that on a clean install I always do an update software in bubba webadmin. And the updates there might conflict?

I have successfully installed both php4-sqlite and php4-gd, but then it broke bubba which I had to reinstall and config apache2 for php4 support again. I dont know yet(since I havent had time to test) if there are other broken parts in the bubba package.

*update: have tried samba, fetchmail, ftd, ftp. And it seems that as Tor stated that mt-daap is the only broken part, due to replaced/upgraded sqlite.

I would really like to know if there is a way to install both php4-gd and php4-sqlite without breaking/reconfiguring or removing the bubba package.

/Limpo
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Limpo,

I actually cant figure this one out without testing it myself and that i unfortunately dont have time for right now. Looking at the log you provide seems to back up the fact that it indeed has some conflicts.

Now when writing this i just had to test. And strangely it works here at my development unit.

bubba:/home/tor# apt-get -s install php4-gd libsqlite0 
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  defoma fontconfig libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgd2-xpm libice6 libsm6 libt1-5 libx11-6 libxext6 libxpm4
  ttf-bitstream-vera xfree86-common xlibs-data
Suggested packages:
  defoma-doc psfontmgr x-ttcidfont-conf dfontmgr libfreetype6-dev libgd-tools x-window-system-core x-window-system
Recommended packages:
  libft-perl
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  defoma fontconfig libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgd2-xpm libice6 libsm6 libsqlite0 libt1-5 libx11-6 libxext6
  libxpm4 php4-gd ttf-bitstream-vera xfree86-common xlibs-data
0 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Inst libsqlite0 (2.8.16-1 Debian:3.1r5/stable)
Inst defoma (0.11.8-0.1 Debian:3.1r5/stable)
Inst libfreetype6 (2.1.7-6 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Inst libfontconfig1 (2.3.1-2 Debian:3.1r5/stable) []
Inst ttf-bitstream-vera (1.10-3 Debian:3.1r5/stable) []
Inst fontconfig (2.3.1-2 Debian:3.1r5/stable)
Inst xfree86-common (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Inst xlibs-data (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Inst libx11-6 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Inst libxpm4 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Inst libgd2-xpm (2.0.33-1.1sarge1 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Inst libice6 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Inst libsm6 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Inst libxext6 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Inst libt1-5 (5.0.2-3 Debian:3.1r5/stable)
Inst php4-gd (4:4.3.10-19 Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Conf libsqlite0 (2.8.16-1 Debian:3.1r5/stable)
Conf defoma (0.11.8-0.1 Debian:3.1r5/stable)
Conf libfreetype6 (2.1.7-6 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Conf ttf-bitstream-vera (1.10-3 Debian:3.1r5/stable)
Conf fontconfig (2.3.1-2 Debian:3.1r5/stable)
Conf libfontconfig1 (2.3.1-2 Debian:3.1r5/stable)
Conf xfree86-common (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Conf xlibs-data (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Conf libx11-6 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Conf libxpm4 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Conf libgd2-xpm (2.0.33-1.1sarge1 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Conf libice6 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Conf libsm6 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Conf libxext6 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 Debian:3.1r5/stable, Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Conf libt1-5 (5.0.2-3 Debian:3.1r5/stable)
Conf php4-gd (4:4.3.10-19 Debian-Security:3.1/stable)
Ok so i actually didnt install anything but rather asked apt to tell me what it should have done.
Never the less. I think here is something else going on here.

You are however right in that an upgrade of external repositories such as debians own can result in conflicts with our packages. The soluion to these conflicts are to remove the bubba package and do the upgrade and then reinstall the bubba package before even think of a reboot.

/Tor
limpo

Post by limpo »

Hi, Tor

The libsqlite0 I know its a library for sqlte but, it wont give me support for sqlite in php right?

Its so strange that when I do a complete usb-image reinstall that it wants to install some other dependencys, when doing the same thing, guess I just have to retry. And I know it is Indead reinstalled since all old data is gone.

I wish there were someway of making an image backup/ghost image of the bubba system so that one would not have to do all reconfiguration every time one reinstalls the system.

/limpo
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

To get sqlite support in php you need to install the php4-sqlite package. Which in turn will install libsqlite0 if not present. When done you need to edit /etc/php4/apache2/php.ini adding extension=sqlite.so and restart apache /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

If i get any time i will try to do the complete reinstall and test. Regarding the ghost/reinstall thing this is something we would like to support in the future.

/Tor
limpo

Post by limpo »

Hi, Tor

Thanx for putting up with me :D
I do have everything working (well not mt-daap) but everything else php4-gd and php4-sqlite.

I now run the forum software punbb on bubba, and it works great.

I also found a web gallery software that doesnt requier gd1/gd2 or imagequick to funqtion. It scales down pictures on the spot, works great on bubba since it uses a javascript that works on the clientside to render the pictures. This means bubba dont have to use precious cpu or mem, bubba can then handle massive gallerys. And its super easy, only add a picture folder and your done! oh and its free.
You guys should really look in to it and see if it is something you should ad to bubba :) for a complete multimedia/business server.

http://minishowcase.frwrd.net/

/limpo
limpo

Post by limpo »

Hi, Tor

Which bubba image did you use, could you point me to it?

/Limpo
tor

Post by tor »

Hi limpo,

We use the same image when installing as is available at http://update.excito.net/install/latest/ but when doing above tests i worked at my devel unit which might have other modifications.

/Tor