New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Samba tranfers Crashing Bubba + Services not auto-starting.

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
kfudd

Samba tranfers Crashing Bubba + Services not auto-starting.

Post by kfudd »

Since the latest 1.2 upgrade, for the first time ever, seems like a heavy Samba transfers brick the Bubba, quite regularly too. I have to pull out the power cable to restart it.

Secondly, whenever I reboot my bubba the MediaTomb and Samba services don't start automatically anymore even though they are checked (MediaTomb yet least) in the services list in the Web GUI.

I've never had any problems what so ever with my Bubba 2 until now.
Any help would be appreciated.
kfudd

Re: Samba tranfers Crashing Bubba + Services not auto-starting.

Post by kfudd »

Here is some more details about the problem:

- For some reason I cannot see the network profile page, it loads blank, but I do know I am not using the Bubba as a firewall or router, just in plain server mode. It is connected wired to a 100mb router.
- Services checked in the Web GUI: UPNP (which I have to start manually after reboots), Up and Downloads.
- I had many torrent downloads active, all completed, and with an upload cap of 50kb/s.

I typically use the Bubba for downloading and streaming to my TV.

Since the 1.2 release I never had any problems with freezing until I noticed I couldn't connect to the Bubba from my Windows Explorer anymore. I also noticed the Samba service was not started, nor does it start automatically after booting. So I manually started the Samba service and the freezing started. The freeze seem to occur while writing to the Bubba via Samba:

- The first problem occurred as I was unraring a file over the network on my WIndows workstation. The unrar app complained that it could no longer write to the destination file on the Bubba, I tried to login via ssh first and got a connection timeout. Next, I tried the Web GUI and that timed out. For some reason, I could access the web server as my web page still seems to load. Next, I tried to shutdown via the button on the back holding it in for 10-15 seconds, but it did nothing, no flashing light. FInally, just pull the power cable. It booted up again OK.

- Second hard freeze was during copying of a large 700mb file to the Bubba from the Windows workstation. Same access problems described before.

Keep in mind, I've done this same procedure many time before with the older 1.1.4 release, never any problems at all.
pa

Post by pa »

Did you have downloads running at the same time as when you copied the file that caused Bubba to hang?

/PA
kfudd

Post by kfudd »

- I had many torrent downloads active, all completed, and with an upload cap of 50kb/s.
I had 6 or seven bittorrent transfers active, but none were downloading, all were completed and only uploading a small amount of data (50kb/s).

So no, nothing was downloading.

Thanks!
pa

Post by pa »

Hi again,

What does your connection to Bubba look like, do you have a switch there also?
What type?
Gigabit link?

If this is the case, do you have another switch that you can test with? Just trying to isolate the issue here so that we can try to reproduce the error.
We have indications that some switches can cause Bubba to hang, but we have sofar been unable to reproduce this ourself.

/PA
kfudd

Post by kfudd »

It is connected wired to a 100mb router.
It is an ADSL model/router. A Davolink 2020 p.o.s to be precise.

Keep in mind, my hardware configuration has not changed. I only upgraded to the 1.2 release. I never had freezing problems with the Bubba before this.
kfudd

Post by kfudd »

Just wanted to give a little high five to the excito guys, for helping fix this freezing problem. Great service for a great product. Thanks again.