New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Backup on USB work or not??

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
darione75

Backup on USB work or not??

Post by darione75 »

Hi after bad raid experience, i've decided to backup my data by usb external drive, FAT32 format.
I follow the manual, create a job, include folders.
The system is on release 1.2.1 and the backup don't work correctly because when i press "run job" the system start and stop immediatly and on the bottom appear the phrase that is backing up my first folder. In fact if i try to restore the system say that is not able to restore anythink. Please see the screenshot.
Attachments
Immagine 3.png
Immagine 3.png (40.23 KiB) Viewed 21160 times
Immagine 2.png
Immagine 2.png (53.22 KiB) Viewed 21160 times
Immagine 1.png
Immagine 1.png (34.07 KiB) Viewed 21160 times
pa

Re: Backup on USB work or not??

Post by pa »

If you have a lot of data to backup, the backup will take time and nothing will be listed as long as the backup is running.

As long as the backup-page shows "Currently running backup ..." there will be no information in the restore section available.

/PA
darione75

Post by darione75 »

Look timing uptime of bubba, over 1 day of backup!
pa

Post by pa »

How much data are you backup up?

/PA
darione75

Post by darione75 »

About 100 Gb
pa

Post by pa »

Check if the backup has started creating any files on your usb disk.

Go to the "disk"-section and use the link to the mountpoint there for your USB disk.
On the disk, there shall be a folder with the name of your backupup-job (and depending on if it was mounted prior to the backup or if was auto-mounted one more level of your backup name).
Inside this folder there should be numerous files named "duplicty-xxxxx". Check the dates on the files to see when the last was created.

Note though that creating an initial backup of 100GB, compressing it and calculating checksums will take time. Don't have any figures though for 100GB of data as this is also dependent on what kind of data is in the backup. 100GB of already compressed music and video will obviously take up more space, and thus time, to create.

/PA
darione75

Post by darione75 »

Thanks PA.
Yes, there's a lots of file with amunth of 5 Mb each one.
But, why if i try to restore one file B2 says that there's no file n the backup as i post in the image on my first post?
thanks
pa

Post by pa »

It is not until the backup is complete that the information about the job is written.

So when the backup is complete you will get a list where you can select from which date you want the file-listing and what file/folder you would like to restore.

/PA
Attachments
restore.jpg
restore.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 21120 times
darione75

Post by darione75 »

YES! After 2 days the backup is complete!
Now i'm soo relieved for my mail!
Thanks for suport, i post the image with success!
bye :P
Attachments
Immagine 1.png
Immagine 1.png (86.88 KiB) Viewed 21112 times
pa

Post by pa »

Just a note here.

One of the main reasons for implementing the possibility to create multiple jobs is to make it easier for the backup (and possibly restore) operations.

I.e. one good thing could be to create multiple jobs with different schedules.

JOB1: backup of mail, running every day (or every other hour), including just "/home/user/Mail" folder. Fullbackup valid for say 1week, and always keep 5(?) fullbackups for a history of 5 weeks.

JOB2: backup of important files, running every night, including just "/home/user" folder but excluding "/home/user/Mail". Fullbackup valid for say 1week, and always keep 5(?) fullbackups for a history of 5 weeks.

JOB3: More static informaiton such as movies and music. Since a fullbackup of this amount of data takes quite some time and the data is fairly static, 1 month between fullbackups and only keep 1. (or never let the backup expire). Running say every sunday.

This would mean that after the initial sync, backups of the large data portion (the static movies and music) will happen very seldom, but the changes will be there.
Running the important files more often will give you a better history of the files, having multiple fullbackups also gives better resolution in time (since deleting one fullbackup will not delete all the history) but not using that much space on the backup target as fullbackups of the entire "/home/storage" would.

/PA
darione75

Post by darione75 »

OK, thanks for suggestions.
rdaneel

Post by rdaneel »

Hi,

i have the same problem. My first job is running for 4 days now!
Not knowing it could take that much time i deleted that first job ('total') si could split it up in several smaller jobs. But now....the first job is still running! At least so it says on the bottom of the Admin screen ('Currently running backup of file(s) from backupjob: totaladmin for user: admin ')
The last backupfile has been written yesterday about 17 hours ago so i'd assume the backup has stopped.
but still. backup says its doing this job sinc 4 days ago, that was deleted allready.

So what should i do? wait? how long?
is there a way to stop the back up process (i already turned off the power once and that didn't seem to help)

i'm using the excito (eSata) external disk (1Gb) to back up to
asparak

Post by asparak »

log in through SSH and kill the process is the fast and dirty answer. There is no option on the GUI yet to stop a running job.

Its dirty and terminates the process with no opportunity for it to clean up after itself. Don't try this if you don't have some experience using Command Line, as you can make your system unresponsive.
rdaneel

Post by rdaneel »

Ok,

So how i do that? my linux is not great. I know how to get to the command line but what do i type to kill what process?
pa

Post by pa »

If you have command line access, delete the file that holds any queued jobs by, as root, running the command:

Code: Select all

rm -f /etc/bubba-backup.queue
Then kill any running job by the command:

Code: Select all

killall backup.pl
/PA