New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Networking dies if I restart my router.

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
MaxM

Networking dies if I restart my router.

Post by MaxM »

Hello.
I have a problem with networking on bubba. It is in my lan behind a router/fw. Networking works fine until i reboot my router, then bubba becomes unreachable by other computers in the network (and by the router itself). If i unplug the power of bubba and start it again it re-establish network again. I have tried both dhcp and static configurations and they both behave exactly the same: if router reboots, bubba becomes unreachable. This does not happen with a windows based computer on the lan.

What could be the problem?
ian

Re: Networking dies if I restart my router.

Post by ian »

When you say unreachable, do you mean by "http://bubba", by "http://<IPaddress>", or both? If it's only by the former, it's probably because BUBBA doesn't appear in the router's DHCP table, as the bubba's IP address was established before the router rebooted. If the bubba is rebooted, it gets a new (or the same) address from the router, but this time also appears in the DHCP table, meaning that the address http://bubba works again. I have had a similar problem after rebooting my router, but as I didn't want to reboot the bubba (it'd been running for nearly 300 days when this happened), I simply gave the bubba a fixed, easy to remember IP address and use that instead...

I could be wrong in my explanation, so am willing to be corrected...
MaxM

Post by MaxM »

When it becomes unreachable I mean by its IP-address.
If i configure both bubba and the router to dhcp, bubba gets the address specified and I can ping it or connect to it via ssh by that IP address. But if I then restart the router. I can no longer ping bubba etc. If i then restart bubba all is well again. Same thing if i configure bubba with a static IP.

I have two other computers on the network which has dhcp so maybe you can't have a mix of dhcp-computers and one static one (bubba) which could explain the static ip case. But I don't know about the dhcp case. Since it is a static lease (I want bubba to be assigned the same IP by dhcp every time) maybe it is that it never renews its ip and therefore disappears from network when the router restarts? But shouldnt it then renew its IP when the network link to the router comes up again?
ian

Post by ian »

That shouldn't matter, as the bubba already has a valid IP address when your router restarts, which means it should be reachable/pingable at that address.

You could try manually setting your bubba's IP address via the webadmin page, but I don't know if that will solve your problem. In our router, most of the devices connected (and we have many) have fixed IP addresses (Bind to MAC in our router), and things usually work as normal after rebooting the router...

If this doesn't work, hopefully someone else has a better idea...
MaxM

Post by MaxM »

I'm running the lenny-raw image so I don't have the web interface. Is there a netwok log somewhere in debian where I can see what's happening when the network link goes up/down ?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Yeah I have noticed exactly that problem. I have two Bubbae and they both experience the same issue. It's like they terminate their network if the line dies on the other end. Good to see that I'm not alone in this, but as far as a solution I just have bubba+router on a small UPS and reboot bubba in case the router has to be restarted.I suppose making a ping script to run with cron allows for some troubleshooting but up till now it has not annoyed me enough to do so. Happy to hear if anyfinds finds a solution though. Sorry I can;t be more help

Ubi
vrep

Post by vrep »

Same problem here. Currently I definitely don't want to restart my Bubba as it is resizing 1300 photos (of 10MB each) ... :oops:

I've pulled out the network cable (after the router was rebooted), but didn't work. The router DCHP client list doesn't show the bubba, and I can't connect to bubba via IP or hostname.

Anyone with a solution?

EDIT: sorry I didn't check the forum, but mine is a BUBBA|TWO.
PeterTuson

Post by PeterTuson »

I turn my router off every day and initially had this problem.

I sorted it out by changing the timeout in /etc/dhclient.conf to 120. This is my current configuration:

/etc/dhclient.conf
timeout 120;

lease {
interface "eth0";
fixed-address 192.168.0.242;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
option routers 192.168.0.242;
renew 6 2029/1/10 13:58:18;
rebind 3 2029/7/18 06:11:04;
expire 2 2038/1/19 03:14:07;
}

send host-name "bubba";

====

I did ask excito to increase the timeout from its default (I forget what that was) but from your comments I guess it is still the same.

With this configuration, my bubba can always be seen over the network when the router restarts. The only problems occur when the power in cut off - as it has been recently.

Hope this solves your problems.
peter
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

[EDIT]Worked it out 30 seconds after posting. The file is in /etc/dhcp3/ :oops:

Hi Peter,

I must be going mad. I tried to implement your suggested fix but get this:
server:/etc# dir /etc/dhclient.conf
dir: /etc/dhclient.conf: No such file or directory
server:/etc#
However:
server:/etc# dir -l /etc/dh*
total 12
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root www-data 451 2009-10-17 22:39 dhclient.conf
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-11-05 16:33 dhclient-enter-hooks.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-11-18 22:08 dhclient-exit-hooks.d
server:/etc#
I get the same results on my Ubuntu box but on that machine can see and open the file graphically (with Nautilus and Gedit).

This is a new one on me and I've been using Linux for a few years now.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
PeterTuson

Post by PeterTuson »

On my Bubba One, dhclient.conf is in /etc.

On my desktop computer, running Debian Lenny, dhclient.conf is in /etc/dhcp3.

My desktop computer is actually an acer netbook.
peter