New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Media Tomb MP3 stream problem

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
amp12

Media Tomb MP3 stream problem

Post by amp12 »

I've just started using the version of Media Tomb that comes pre-installed on a Bubba|Two server (very nice quiet piece of kit). I'm using it to stream MP3 files over a home wifi network.

My AE-Wifi radio plays the streams Media Tomb serves up with no problem.

However, my Philips SLA-5520 wireless music adapter consistently stops playing any stream about 20 seconds into any track (despite the fact that <http://mediatomb.cc/pages/devices> lists the SLA-5520 as "known to work").

Does anyone have any suggestions how to diagnose what is the problem?
Eek

Post by Eek »

No
I have the same problem.
I am using a Freecom MusicPal and i works fine with the bubba1, with version 10 and 11 of mediatomb.

But when using the bubba2, i have the same problem.
the playing stops, then restart with a new song, stops again.
sometimes within a few seconds, but always within a minute and always consistently :?
A tcpdump revealed a contant stream to the MusicPal and that suddenly,
nothing for a few seconds, couple of hickups and the streaming again.

Maybe it has something to do with the MTU, just like in the copy problems posts.
I did not try that yet, as i experience no copy problems.

cheers
Eek
amp12

Post by amp12 »

I've done some more experiments trying to get MediaTomb on my Bubba2 to stream MP3s reliably to my SLA-5520 and discovered the following:

My collection of MP3 files was ripped from my CD collection using different bit rates: some files are 128Kbps and some are 320Kbps. I've discovered that the 320Kbps files stream to the player with no problems---it's only the 128Kbps files that stop streaming after about 20 secs.

Not that that solves the problem. :-(
RobV

Post by RobV »

I have the same experience with my Philips SLA-5500.
The first part of the song (and sometimes the next song) is played over and over again.
Any suggestions for experiments?
Xnij

Post by Xnij »

I had problems with streaming video via mediatomb. As soon as I switched to wired network it disappeared. I previously ran mediatomb on a standard desktop computer (streaming via wifi) and I did not have this problem so I'm guessing the problem is a combination of bubba and wifi.

Is it possible to connect these devices to a wired network just for testing?
RobV

Post by RobV »

The Philips SLA products are wireless only.
So testing in a wired network is not possible.
amp12

Post by amp12 »

Since I wasn't getting anyway solving the problem of my SLA-5520 being unable to play 128Kbps MP3 files streamed by bubba2/MediaTomb (other than re-ripping my CDs at 320Kbps), I decided to install a copy of Twonkymedia on my bubba2 and try that instead of MediaTomb.

The interesting thing is that I get exactly the same behaviour using bubba2/Twonkymedia as the media server---the SLA-5520 media renderer stops playing the streamed file after about 20s.

So the next thing I did was to install Twonkymedia on a PC running MS Vista that can access the MP3 files on bubba as a windows share. The SLA-5520 plays streams from the Vista/Twonkymedia media server with no problems.

So the finger is pointing at bubba2, not MediaTomb. (However, my other UPnP media renderer, an AE-wifi radio, can play steams from bubba2 without a problem.)
Eek

Post by Eek »

Hi
All my mp3 files are 192kbps
Bubba1 no problem, Bubba2 hangs, skips,etc
This is also visible in tcpdump.
I tried with my bubba1 config (upgrade bubba1 to etch and mediatomb 11), but does not matter.
Read about the avahi daemon, shut it down, but no improvement.
My config is Bubba2 as router <-> Asus WL500gP accesspoint <-> Freecom MusicPal.
Bubba1 is connected to the Asus, which also acts as a hub/switch.
Will try out the 320kbps option.
Keep you posted...
Eek
Eek

Post by Eek »

Hi
this post solved my mediatomb streaming problem
http://forum.excito.net//posting.php?mode=quote&p=6004
pa wrote:Hi,

Sorry that this issue have taken so long to resolve, but the rebuffering problem with itunes is most likely related to the silicon bug mentioned earlier on this forum regarding hardware calculations of tcp checksums.

Run, as root:

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/ethtool -K eth1 rx off tx off
To make this fix permanent, edit the file "/etc/init.d/disable-offload" and add the above line below the existing one with "eth0".

/PA
cheers
Eek