New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Copying problem may have been solved

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
jws

Copying problem may have been solved

Post by jws »

OK we have a horrible problem on Bubba2, making it almost unusable: crashes of the whole system when large amounts of data are copied to it or from it, through USB or ethernet. Not all of these cases have been verified BTW.

BUT ...

In my case the problem seems to have gone away after I killed & removed the avahi-daemon. I never understood what it was for, anyway, so I removed it just for fun. And then I could copy 50 GByte of files from a USB drive to the Bubba2 without problems! Average speed: 11 Mbyte/sec. And no crash, which in the past was 100% guaranteed with such a large copy task.

Now what is the problem here? Avahi-daemon is part of the basic software installation of Bubba2. Some people do not have problems with it. Why did I?

Could there be something wrong with the "rescue image"? I used it, maybe others did not.

Must do more tests, but found the present result very encouraging.

Regards, Jan
jws

Re: Copying problem may have been solved

Post by jws »

One more data point: I restarted the avahi-daemon and ran the same 50 GB copying task again. It crashed after copying 8.9 GB.

More and more the finger seems to point at avahi-daemon... Of course it may still be a coincidence. More tests are needed.

Regards, Jan
peter

Post by peter »