New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

shared addressbook

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
billdbr

shared addressbook

Post by billdbr »

Has anyone installed a shared addressbook on the bubba2 using openldap or any other method? It must be possible to use the addressbook from linux and windows clients.
Any thoughts?
TIA, Leo
ruelfra

Re: shared addressbook

Post by ruelfra »

Yes, I did install a shared address book on bubba2, based on openldap.
I used quite standard Debian packages, with a quite standard installation /configuration (there are plenty of tutorials on the Web for this). I did not find any difficulty that would be specific to bubba.
In terms of "ldap schemas", I had to adapt what existed for Mozilla as I wanted to use thunderbird as a client, and, strangely enough, I could not identify any ready-made schema. This said, Thunderbird is not the best client you can dream of since you have only read access to your ldap server, and thunderbird does not recognize multi-valued fields. Also the prints-out of address books are poor.
I presently use three other clients. First: Jxplorer, which is a pretty powerful and fast java client, so usable from any platform, even MS Windows. Second: phpldapadmin is the nicest one, and you can adapt it quite a lot (I configured to have easy-to-understand field names, in french). Third is Perl programming: the fastest of course and quite powerful, compatible with other platforms (I did not try) but you have to work a bit more. I can share my (limited) experience and scripts if so needed.
A last remark: do not dream of compatibility with, say MS Outlook, Evolution, etc. Each has its own set of fields. You need to look at logs of your ldap server to identify those fields. For instance, Outlook has two sets of fields, one for the local address books and a different one (poor) for remote directories.
Good luck!
billdbr

Re: shared addressbook

Post by billdbr »

Thank you for your answer!

In the mean time I put an old server, from pre bubba times i had standing around, in my network.
I runs suse 9.1 and i use it to try openldap on.
I installed allright. I exported my kaddressbook to ldif, but had to edit de resulting ldif file to make it fit in the schema that came with openldap. I now can use it as mail adrressbook with Kmail and outlook express.
To write to the addressbook I use LdapAdmintoolprofessional, both on my one laptop on suse 11.1 and on the other laptop on winXP.
Now I'm going to install it on the bubba.
I have to maintain my local Kaddressbook as not all the fields (fi. birthdate and categories ) I cannot use in the openldap addressbook.

Leo