New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Network and disk throughput

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
giorgio

Re: Network and disk throughput

Post by giorgio »

I'd love to know how you people all get such fast data speeds!
With a gigabit connection from my desktop computer to the bubba the max I have seen is 4.7 MBytes/s
With my laptop with a "g" wireless the best I get is 1MByte/s

Since upgrading the bubba a couple of days ago I now get 100KBytes/Sec on the wireless connection.

I do have squeezebox server running. That is about the only thing I use on the bubba. Using the bubba as a fileshare is impossible as it is too slow.

Regards
George
Puma

Post by Puma »

Hello to all,

Since I upgraded to version 2 I get only 2 to 3 Mb per second, before I had 6 to 6,5 Mb per second.

I love the update but would like to see the speed (with windows through samba) the same.

Regards,

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
jonj1

Post by jonj1 »

Faster data transfer (10 - 11mbytes/s) is possible for Linux clients connecting over a wired network. The CPU utilisation is lower with NFS, when mounted with the -udp option.

http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1908
mojs

Post by mojs »

Just checking if anyone has found something interesting that might boost up the NIC performance of the Bubba2 a bit more.
Filius

Post by Filius »

I solved this issue by buying a Mac mini server:p
fseidl

Post by fseidl »

I try to rsync some truecrypt volumes from an external esata to a external usb (for a test). The Performance is terrible, around 2 MB/s (I crosshecked this, it is true, not a measurement fault):

test_4gb.tc
4666163200 100% 1.64MB/s 0:45:19 (xfer#1, to-check=17/18)
test_70gb.tc
73400320000 100% 2.34MB/s 8:19:20 (xfer#2, to-check=13/18)

There is no network involved, just one port of the bubba to another port!
Puma

Post by Puma »

Hello,

Maybe rsync is causing that?

I copy data to USB drive and NAS with script files over night with crontab which gives me about 6.3 megabyte per second.

Try a simple bash script like this:

#!/bin/bash
# Crontab -e used for automatic start

cp -prv /home/storage/extern/[drivename]/ /home/storage/data/...../

echo ”ready with copy”

Good luck
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
fseidl

Post by fseidl »

Yes, thank you, with cp it is about 5 times faster, which is good.

I am actually quite surprised, as I used rsync with the "--whole-file" switch, which should in theory disalble the whole delta computation and checksum thing and perform similar to cp.

The reason I did not use cp was that it did not work earlier with files that big, but as far as I remember I had to tune the ulimit or somthing like that.

Anyway, this proves that the reason for the very poor performance was not the bubba or the I/O, but the rsync itself (which is optimized torwards network transfer rather than local copy).