New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

[Cancelled] OpenProducts to take over Excito B3 product line

Announcements from Excito
Gordon

Re: [Cancelled] OpenProducts to take over Excito B3 product

Post by Gordon »

Rubbish. Any company can get beaten at their game, even by companies that actually make lesser products. Companies like Apple and Microsoft can spend a lot of money to impress, but their size makes it very difficult to adapt to a changing market. Who still owns a Nokia phone? The reliability of Microsoft servers still can't stand in the shadow of the Novell servers that ruled the previous century, but who still owns a Novell server? There's no doubt that Apple and Microsoft will tumble and crumble at some point as well and my guess is that this time is actually not far away at all.
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

Might be so, but probably in some years tv-s will come with a inbuilt interface like v1, appletv, chromecast etc anyway.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Gordon wrote:There's no doubt that Apple and Microsoft will tumble and crumble at some point as well and my guess is that this time is actually not far away at all.
Horray! Eh... Sorry, that one was off topic...

Well, I have really no opinion about the V1. What I do know is that if a B4 was released which was a modern version of B3 (same form factor, newer Debian, more RAM, faster CPU etc) I'd buy it on the spot. B3 is still the best server in the world made for my needs but it is really starting to feel slow, especially when running things like Subsonic or Owncloud that is part of my private cloud.

/Daniel
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Johannes,

You said in september that there would be some announcements soon regarding the future of B3, but I haven't seen any anouncement yet. I would appreciate some news regarding this subject because Squeeze is ageing now, and I'm currently wondering if I shall install by myself a new clean Wheezy. Of course I would be really pleased if Excito provide an automatic upgrade to Wheezy or, as it has been proposed in other threads, put all Bubba particular modifications in a Debian package.

Regards,

Vincent
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

I do not speak for excito, but I can say that there is a current discussion on future development for the Bx. As this discussion is still in stage of 'wild ideas' there is no official announcement on progress, and I do not expect one within weeks or maybe even a few months. If you go ahead and install Wheezy yourself this would be very much applauded, and you can expect interest and support from the forum, but no guarantees to anything.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Do note that when going vanilla there will be issues with hardware support. The patches applied to the current B2|3 kernel will definitely offer some hints on what to change, but you will need to know your stuff in order to apply those to other versions of the Linux kernel. As it stands, a firmware update also appears to be required for current kernels to even boot at all. I'm not completely sure up to which point development has gone in this respect.