New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Settings/Remote accounts, rsync to non B3 or HiDrive targets

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
gonk

Settings/Remote accounts, rsync to non B3 or HiDrive targets

Post by gonk »

I would like to get a more in depth explanation of the new setting called "Remote accounts"

The help text says
This page holds settings for remote accounts used mainly for the backup feature. Accounts that are added here will be available as targets in the backup feature, and also be available under /home/admin in the file manager, for direct access.

The public key - where available - has to be stored on the target in order for the B3 to log on automatically. For ssh this is done automatically, but for HiDrive this has to be done manually, in HiDrive web portals settings
There's two choises when adding a "remote account"
  • HiDrive
  • Other B3 (SSH)
If this is the for the rsync-based backup then I wonder if it is actually a requirement that it is another B3?
Does that then imply that the feature is or isn't compatible with other servers running rsyncd?
... and/or which settings are required on that other rsync server?
... and where to potentially specify a non-standard TCP port set for that rsyncd?
... and what if that other server (on the same internal network doesn't run SSH?

I do not get the point of why you've selected HiDrive and not also
  • Google Drive
  • Dropbox
  • Amazon S3
  • Crashplan
...or other way more popular cloud based storage solutions?

HiDrive seems limited to 500 GB while Google Drive can be up to 16 TB and Amazon S3 has plans for storage exceeding 5000 TB.
johannes

Re: Settings/Remote accounts, rsync to non B3 or HiDrive tar

Post by johannes »

There's two choises when adding a "remote account"
  • HiDrive
  • Other B3 (SSH)
If this is the for the rsync-based backup then I wonder if it is actually a requirement that it is another B3?
Does that then imply that the feature is or isn't compatible with other servers running rsyncd?
... and/or which settings are required on that other rsync server?
... and where to potentially specify a non-standard TCP port set for that rsyncd?
... and what if that other server (on the same internal network doesn't run SSH?
- No, it does not require the taget to be a B3, it could be any other rsync server.
- Nothing specific, any standard rsync target should work fine (we have done nothing special with rsync on the B3)
- nope, just standard
- It has to run ssh, yes.
I do not get the point of why you've selected HiDrive and not also
  • Google Drive
  • Dropbox
  • Amazon S3
  • Crashplan
...or other way more popular cloud based storage solutions?
You are right, and the others are on the to-do-list, but we had HiDrive already done for a specific client, so we started there.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
gonk

Re: Settings/Remote accounts, rsync to non B3 or HiDrive tar

Post by gonk »

johannes wrote: - nope, just standard (port)
- It has to run ssh, yes.
I cant use that feature to my old Qnap NAS then because of requirement to run SSH.
I know that you said that you aimed for simplicity but the lack of options really isn't good - in my case it makes the new "backup" a failure.