New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Announcing B3

Announcements from Excito
pcrene

Re: Announcing B3

Post by pcrene »

Hello Tor, Johannes,

Is there already a performance comparison between B2 and B3?
Specially on the network performance issue..

Rene
B3 1T + B-Stor 2T, B2 1T as backup
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
johannes

Post by johannes »

No, no scientific report yet, but we've run a few quick tests:

Conditions:
B3 with LAN port connected directly to PC (medium fast laptop, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Win7). B3 with default settings, no changes else than added one user to get access.

Results:
SAMBA read, 700 MB file, from B3 to PC: > 40 MB/s
Screenshot 1.png:
1.png
1.png (90.07 KiB) Viewed 27088 times
HTTP read, 700 MB file, from B3 to PC: > 50 MB/s
Screenshot 2.png:
2.png
2.png (53.23 KiB) Viewed 27088 times
FTP read, 700 MB file, from B3 to PC: > 55 MB/s
Screenshot 3.png:
3.png
3.png
3.png (67.61 KiB) Viewed 27088 times
Compared to B2 that had about 6-10 MB/s under similar conditions this is of course a significant improvement.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
mcg

Post by mcg »

Congratulations on the new product!
kfudd

Post by kfudd »

Two questions:

- Does it run java?
- Can we now update third party the software on it ourselves without having to wait for updates from excito? For example MediaTomb, SqueezeServer etc?

Thanks!
tor

Post by tor »

Hi kfudd and others,

Regarding Java, yes this is available in Debian squeeze. Install i.e. openjdk-6-jre-headless and you have a minimal java environment for java execution.

Regarding squeezebox server. This is not available in Debian repos at all and is 100% our own package. So as long as you don't find other sources, such as from Logitech, you will be left to our upgrades.

Regarding mediatomb we have made quite some config settings which is unavailable in the mainstream debian package. But you should be able to replace this with the one provided in debian repos if you like that version better ;)

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Henri

Post by Henri »

What kind of wireless performance can be expected from Bubba III?

Any test results available ?
razor1394

Post by razor1394 »

It's very nice to hear that you have launched a faster bubba but removing one eSATA port was really a downer. This makes me a bit unsure about if I should buy the new B3. I currently have 1TB inside the bubba and two external 2TB on eSATA. In my experience USB is slow and creates more overhead. The Bubba TWO feels slow so I long for something faster...
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, sorry about the missing eSATA port, we really didn't have a choice due to the new hardware platform limitations.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
hho

Post by hho »

razor1394 wrote:It's very nice to hear that you have launched a faster bubba but removing one eSATA port was really a downer. This makes me a bit unsure about if I should buy the new B3. I currently have 1TB inside the bubba and two external 2TB on eSATA. In my experience USB is slow and creates more overhead. The Bubba TWO feels slow so I long for something faster...
Did you see the thread about using eSATA Port Multiplier? I am using it successfully with three disks in an external chassis. See http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 26&p=14489