New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

New fresh install image?

Good ideas? Share with us!
Harry

New fresh install image?

Post by Harry »

How about a release of a new fresh install image for B2 and B3 including the 8 or so web updates from the last 1,5 years?
It would at least make me feel a bit more secure when it comes to future miss happens requiring a reinstall.

Cheers Harry.
Gordon

Re: New fresh install image?

Post by Gordon »

Why not create your own payload file? It appears to be nothing else than a simple tgz of the root file system. And by making your own it will also include every other bit of software you installed and settings that are not covered by the system backup procedure.
Harry

New fresh install image?

Post by Harry »

Okay, that sounds very interesting and would definitely be a good enough alternative.
I have to do some research though to figure out if this is doable even for a linux newbie.

Cheers, Harry.
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

I second this proposal. I too would like to see some new isntall images. I will soon most likely to install new bigger disk and I will be in need of an image.
Harry

New fresh install image?

Post by Harry »

Just to clarify:
Everything you need for a reinstallation is available.
You use the current install image and then you do a web update that brings your bubba up to date, and thats not much of a hassle.
My concern is more of uncertainty of the future. What if the possibility to do a web update no longer exists, then what?

Cheers, Harry.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Harry wrote:Okay, that sounds very interesting and would definitely be a good enough alternative.
I have to do some research though to figure out if this is doable even for a linux newbie.

Cheers, Harry.
When in shell you can use rsync to create a copy of the root folder somewhere on /home

Code: Select all

rsync -axv / /home/payload
(I tried cp -axl first, but for some reason this does cross the file system boundary and tries to include /home)

Next cd into the mirror directory and create the payload file

Code: Select all

cd /home/payload
tar -czvf ../payload-$(hostname)-$(date +%Y%M%d).tgz *
(you may want to do some cleaning of redundant files first - like old log files - and add the default content of /home from the original payload file on the rescue stick)

Next replace the original payload file on your rescue stick with this file. As Mouett explained earlier the name is not important, but there can be only one.

Disclaimer: I have not yet verified this method.
Harry

New fresh install image?

Post by Harry »

Thank You for the method suggested!
I am awaiting the right time for a total reinstall.
At that point I will definitely try the above, when I'm having the opportunity to fiddle around without risking anything.

Cheers, Harry.
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

Gordon wrote: 14 Sep 2013, 12:24(date +%Y%M%d)
Should be (date +%Y%m%d) or if you want to add hour and minute (date +%Y%m%d-%H:%M)
%Y= year
%m = month
%d = day
%H = hour
%M = minute
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden