New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

What will WLAN add-on look like?

Good ideas? Share with us!
essence

Re: What will WLAN add-on look like?

Post by essence »

One question related to possible data-security-by-obscurity in case of burglars:

Will it be possible to set-up WLAN in client mode?

:idea: ... so it will be possible to hide the Bubba well-away from all the other networking devices ...

Regards,

Essence
tor

Post by tor »

Hi essence,

We have of course thouhgt of the possibility to use the WLAN feature as a client as well. And if possible we will try to get that feature in asap. That said the main focus for WLAN is to use it in Master, Access point, mode. And thus i cant guarantee that client mode will be available in the first release.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
wil

Post by wil »

Carl,
The wLAN will be internal attached to the PCI port visible on the card. There will be external three antennas, which will be attached to an new back plate.
Since you are about to design a new back plate, will it be possible to design-in some kind of connector for Bubba's serial port(s)?
Last edited by wil on 10 Nov 2009, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
asparak

Post by asparak »

What are the chances of the WiFi module this side of Christmas 2009? I'll need 2 of them as soon as they are available and happily volunteer my own box as a test system for you guys
tor

Post by tor »

Hi asparak,

We are working on WLAN prio 1 right now. And no one will be more pleased than Excito if we get this done in time for a pre christmas launch.

Progress is good, we are working hard with the logic and UI parts atm, and if there is no setbacks with drivers, which is our biggest problem right now. Its not unlikely that we will meet that goal.

And asparak, i note that you are interested in beta-testing ;)

/Tor
neuman

Post by neuman »

Will you support WDS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_D ... ion_System)?

Best regards / Finn
tor

Post by tor »

Hi neuman,

Regarding WDS. It will not be supported on release, this due to the underlaying system not supporting it yet. There is however work in progress in Linux Wireless to support it. When available it is of course an interesting feature that we would like to support.

/Tor
SpeedingGuy

Post by SpeedingGuy »

It seems like the wifi part is ready to launch now or?
Thats the feeling I get from IDG.se review of bubba 2 at least...
http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.273653/liten ... ddekopinge
andersos

Post by andersos »

Looks like Bubba 2 with wlan wont be for sale before Christmas?
Caper

Post by Caper »

:!:

o'dny

Post by o'dny »

Hi,

I intend to buy myself a Bubba Two - the features look simply awesome. In particular, the low energy consumption is amazing for a server. I primarily intend to use it as a home media server with Squeezebox.

Just wondering: what's the hardware upgrade policy? Does Bubba know hardware upgrades over time? (memory, cpu, other technology, etc.) Or is there a Bubba Three foreseen? Just curious to know what are expectations for a not too distant future.

On wlan: is there any info on the card that will be used, the chipset the driver, the AP software?

On wlan again: I imagine it's already possible to plug a usb wireless card into the back of the bubba and have it work already as a client?

Many thanks!
andersos

Post by andersos »

Caper wrote::!:

You got a wlan kit? You're a beta tester or something?
Caper

Post by Caper »

Yeah beta tester, currently up and running with the wifi kit.
Pretty stable so far using 802.11n.
asparak

Post by asparak »

It is unlikely that we will see upgrades on already built units as these are fully integrated systems, soldered to a motherboard. You would need to replace the whole board.

Wifi is in Beta and looking good so far, with a few minor tweaks and niggles, which are being worked on by Excito. I won't give away too many details yet. This also includes version 1.3 for the Bubba Two, which looks really nice. Not quite ready for the masses, but pretty close.

If you search for forum, somebody already used a USB wireless card, but not sure of how successful it was.
o'dny wrote:Hi,

I intend to buy myself a Bubba Two - the features look simply awesome. In particular, the low energy consumption is amazing for a server. I primarily intend to use it as a home media server with Squeezebox.

Just wondering: what's the hardware upgrade policy? Does Bubba know hardware upgrades over time? (memory, cpu, other technology, etc.) Or is there a Bubba Three foreseen? Just curious to know what are expectations for a not too distant future.

On wlan: is there any info on the card that will be used, the chipset the driver, the AP software?

On wlan again: I imagine it's already possible to plug a usb wireless card into the back of the bubba and have it work already as a client?

Many thanks!
Crotub

Post by Crotub »

Any chance of an ETA for the WLAN add-on? It seems to have gone very quiet?