New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

SSH brute force attack prevention

Good ideas? Share with us!
Puma

Re: SSH brute force attack prevention

Post by Puma »

Hello,

Can someone give me an example for using static IPTABLES based solution (only connection from a white listed IP adresses)

Thanks in advance

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
Gerrard

Post by Gerrard »

I have been using the host.deny and hosts.allow to "protect" my bubba

In my host.deny I have this
ALL: ALL

and in my hosts.allow I have list of trusted hosts that I allow to connect

I this the best way approach this? Which problems can I expect? Should I use iptables instead=
mcg

Post by mcg »

This is what I'm using. Add this to the end of your INPUT rules (in /etc/networking/firewall.conf)

Code: Select all

-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m recent --set --name SSH
#-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 4 --rttl --name SSH -j LOG --log-prefix "SSH Attack: "
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 4 --rttl --name SSH -j DROP
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
Note that I commented out the logging command. As I've written it, it would log every single attack attempt, and that might flood the log. I don't really care to do anything but drop those connections anyway, so I commented it out. There's a way to rate-limit the log messaging, which would be a great compromise, but I didn't bother to work that out.
Adain

Post by Adain »

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really apprciate it.
mad

Post by mad »

Another way is to implement port knocking as described here:

http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1399
mcg

Post by mcg »

Yes, that's a great alternative too. Only downside is that you have to have ready access to a knock client on any machine from which you intend to original an SSH connection. But honestly, I think that in my case, I would. Might have to look into this more.
mad

Post by mad »

mcg wrote:Yes, that's a great alternative too. Only downside is that you have to have ready access to a knock client on any machine from which you intend to original an SSH connection. But honestly, I think that in my case, I would. Might have to look into this more.
If you have telnet or a web browser on your computer you can use them to knock so thats pretty much a non issue. But yes it is a bit cumbersome.
Eek

Post by Eek »

I have some practises I use to prevent being vulnerable to brute force attack

1. relocate the ssh port, from example not 22 but 6666, as all scanners are looking for easy targets on port 22.

2. only have ssh port exposed to those servers that i really need/want access to using ssh.

3. only allow a ssh key and not a password.

4. or have a really good password (system) http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1007

tip: listen to http://www.grc.com/sn
cheers
Eek