New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Please fix the file manager!!

Good ideas? Share with us!
86ivar

Please fix the file manager!!

Post by 86ivar »

Hi.
I posted two posts abaout the file manager, got an answer where im supposed to use putty and so on, something even you dont support officially. I didnt even manage to log in with putty.
So i would put an request for an better file manager, you can read abaout my problems in the posts.

But an quick overview:
Basically I dont want any of the permissions crap, or atleast i want to have an option turning it off for all logged in users. It is a pain in the ass when deleting or moving files, cause you have to change the stupid permissions for all the files and folder inside the folder you want to delete or move, and somtimes i cant change the permissions either (could not change permission error), even when I downloaded th file with my own user.
And the fact that bubba uses its own permission system, i cant use windows explorer for filemanaging other than adding or reading files.

Right now I dont know if i want this server, I can still return it.
And i wont recommend it to anyone before this is fixed because now this server makes my life harder instead of the easier.
Ubi

Re: Please fix the file manager!!

Post by Ubi »

calm down. Nobody here gets paid to help you, so being angry won't help your cause.

of course Bubba has its own right management as it is a separate machine. There's actually an easy fix, but that requires logging in to the UNIX shell of the Bubba which may be too difficult for you to do. But if you're up for it, log on as root and edit "/etc/samba/smb.conf". There's a header called [homes] there and below that is a setting for "create mask" . Just above this line (for me its line 264) is documentation which describes that you can alter the create mask to 775 to enable group write permissions. Then reload samba using "/etc/init.d/samba restart".

This might actually be an easy thing to do in the web interface of Bubba, but afaik it is presently not in.

ubi
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

I kind of understand where you're coming from because *nix permissions do work substantially differently from Windows. However, with a bit of research you'll see it's not really that hard to understand and creating default permissions with smb.conf is pretty straight forward (when you ssh I to the server type "man smb.conf" for detailed information).
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

Ubi wrote:calm down. Nobody here gets paid to help you, so being angry won't help your cause.

of course Bubba has its own right management as it is a separate machine. There's actually an easy fix, but that requires logging in to the UNIX shell of the Bubba which may be too difficult for you to do. But if you're up for it, log on as root and edit "/etc/samba/smb.conf". There's a header called [homes] there and below that is a setting for "create mask" . Just above this line (for me its line 264) is documentation which describes that you can alter the create mask to 775 to enable group write permissions. Then reload samba using "/etc/init.d/samba restart".

This might actually be an easy thing to do in the web interface of Bubba, but afaik it is presently not in.

ubi
Sorry for complainig, got a bit angry, and i dont have much linux exp other than ubuntu. but i thought there was some excito customer support in here, and this is the forum for requesting updates i persume?

Anyway thank you for answering and helping, ill try to log in with putty, tried some days ago but couldnt access. I need to allow shell access dont i?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Yes you need to enable shell access
Ubi
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

Okay i sorted it out, now its working like a dream:)
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

except i changed some of the settings for the home folder too, and now i cant log into that folder using windows explorer. I like accessing the files with win exp because i get an more "live" access. (can open, edit, save, etc without having to download the file and then upload again)
What was the deafault setting again? :)
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

can you post the content if the file you edited?

Next time: first make a backup of the file you're about to edit.

Ubi
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

[home]
browseable=yes
comment=Home Directories
create mask=0775
directory mask=0775
guest ok=no
hide dotfiles=yes
hide files=/lost+found/
hide special files=yes
path=/home
public=yes
user=@users
writable=no

Yes, i should have made a backup, but did not think it wold give me such problems :P
I can make it aceessible but not writable, not accessible, but i cant get it to where it was, with the login thing.
is these settings only for my user or all?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

86ivar wrote:I can make it aceessible but not writable, not accessible,
I have no idea what this sentence means.

The mask you set (0775) should allow writing by user and by group. The settings are for all users.

Ubi
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Shouldn't it be "writeable=yes"?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

yes it should be writable=yes. well spotted

[home]
comment = Home Directories
path = /home
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
read only = no
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775
public = no
guest ok = no
hide dotfiles = yes
user = @users
hide files = /lost+found/
hide special files = yes
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

tried the writable yes no. i think it is the mask, cause tried all those yes no.
i edited the text and forgot to put away some words.
i meant i can make it accessible, but no permission to write and delete. i also can make it no accessible, get an message you do not have the permission to view the content. but i cant make it the way it was when it was new, like with the login thing. but what was the standard mask again? 770?
thanks for the help! sorry for beeing stupid.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Digging back into my head I remebered a similar problem, it could because of faulty UID mappings within the SMB protocol.

can you change the permissions to 777, reload samba, then add a new file and see within the UNIX shell what the owner and group of that new file is (use ls -la on the folder).
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

This is from my smb.conf (unchanged from the default I think):

Code: Select all

[home]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = /home
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   create mask = 0764
   directory mask = 0775