New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Some suggestions

Good ideas? Share with us!
gatto

Some suggestions

Post by gatto »

Hi guys, I'm loving my experience on the bubba,

anyway I dare giving some suggestions of cool software that would be perfect, in my opinion, for such kind of server.

1st eyeos
http://www.eyeos.org/ a virtual desktop with a lot of applications (even openoffice can be used in a virtual desktop), multiuser

2nd extplorer
http://extplorer.sourceforge.net/ great web filemanager, with a lot of features, available in debian repos

3rd some html5 based media player, but I don't know if something suitable exists, by now...

what do you think?
RandomUsername

Re: Some suggestions

Post by RandomUsername »

I like extexplorer too.

Re. No. 3 you know fireplay is installed on the bubba 2/3 (you don't say which one you have) do you?
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I installed FireflyClient. This is java-based, but is able to play all music formats and not just mp3.

Extplorer is only available in the squeeze repo's. I'd like to try it on my B2 though.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi,

Regarding no. 1:
See: http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... &hilit=vnc

There is also the option of using X, redirecting the output of any GUI application on Bubba3 to your linux desktop...

Best regards,

Cheeseboy
gatto

Post by gatto »

Topic 3
I use firefly, and I quite like it, though I still need to fix minor stuff.
But, the web client is flash based and I think this can be done better.
Whith the new standards, I think this is avoidable and there's the chance to use free sw for this stuff also (and even more, also videos can be played, without having to recur to flash)

I know that there are clients (i.e.: I'm using rhythmbox on my lan), but when I'm at work or at friends' places I still use web interface.

Topic 2
As soon as excito people release the b2 upgrade to squeeze, we'll be able to use extplorer.
Btw, I think it might be considered to use it as default app, even if the existing file browser does its job, but it would be less stuff to maintain for the developers

Topic 3
Regarding eyeos, Gave a look at that thread, Really interesting, though I'm more interested in having web based apps, due to the nature of the bubbas. Maybe some easy installer for eyeos would be great, if not installed by default... This would automatically give a filemanager, media player, image viewer calendar and email plus a lot of other stuff... again, it would be easier to maintain for the developer, in my opinion.

Anyway, I might consider trying the eyeos 1.x version, which uses flat files database and is therefore easier to install (I'm a complete mysql-ignorant), even though the new 2.4 is much more modern for web standards
Obviously, mine are just a suggestions and ideas I thought might be interesting.

Cheers guys!