New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bootloader update - fixes hangs during file transfers

Announcements of all software releases for Excito products
pa

Bootloader update - fixes hangs during file transfers

Post by pa »

During (mainly) file transfers it has been discovered that Bubba|Two can stop responding and the only solution is to remove power from the unit.

This has been determined to be that some memory accesses can cause this behavior and an update to the bootloader (that sets up the memory contorller and other hardware) will fix this problem.

Please use the process described below to upgrade your bootloader.

Bootloader upgrade

The lowest level of software on Bubba is called "bootloader" and is stored in flash-memory on the mainboard.
In order to update this part of the software, the procedure is as described below:

1. Checking USB-stick compatibility:
  • With Bubba|Two running as normal, insert a USB-stick (or a USB hard disk) into any of the USB-slots. Enter Bubba|Two administration interface, log in as “admin” and select “Settings->Logs”
    View “syslog”. At the very end (if the USB-stick has just been inserted), look for lines:

Code: Select all

‘Nov 5 03:24:28 bubba kernel: sdb: sdb1’
    ‘Nov 5 03:24:28 bubba kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk’

The important thing here is that there is a “sdb1” (depending on the number of disks connected to Bubba|Two, the letter “b” can be ‘c’,’d’ … ).
    If not the USB memory is not created in such a way that Bubba|Two can use it for upgrade. Unfortunately Windows cannot alter this on USB sticks. A “howto” on how this is done on Bubba|Two can be found here: http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=1347
2. Preparing installation files
  • • Move the USB-stick to your PC and in the root (top-level) of the stick create a folder named “install” (case sensitive). It is very important that this directory is empty and named correctly, otherwise the upgrade will not work, or if there are any other installation files (such as an install-image) this may reinstall the entire system. Having other files or folders in the root of the USB-stick does not matter.
    • Download the file “u-boot.bin” from http://update.excito.net/install/latest/bubba-two/ and place this file in the “install” folder on the USB-stick.
    • Remove the USB-memory from your PC and insert it into any of the USB-slots on Bubba|Two.
    • Power down Bubba|Two, either from the administration interface or by pressing the button until the LED starts to blink.
3. System upgrade
  • • Unplug the power-cord to Bubba|Two (important).
    • With the button pressed, connect power to Bubba|Two, and release the button as soon as the LED starts to blink.
    NOTE: It is very important not to remove power from Bubba|Two during initial process.
    Doing so may render the unit totally inaccessible and the unit would need to be sent in for repair.
    • Bubba|Two will upgrade the bootloader and then continue doing a regular boot. The LED should then be lit continuously (normal boot-time around 90 sec).

If the LED does not stop blinking the update failed. Probable causes for this are:
    • o A USB-stick that does not work with Bubba|Two
      o An incorrectly named folder or file
      o The USB-memory is not formatted with FAT or FAT32 filesystem
4. Checking for a successful update
  • Checking for a successful update can only be performed using ssh access.
    Please see this howto http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=766 for tips on how to access Bubba|Two using ssh.
    With ssh access become root by typing "su", default password is "excito".
    Run the command:

wget -O - -q http://update.excito.org/util/findver.pl | perl
    Note that "-O" is the letter "O", not the number "0" (zero).
    The output should show the bootloader date to November 4th.

Version: 1.3.4-00056-gf6f51b1-dirty
    Date   : Nov  4 2008 - 18:48:46

Tompa

Post by Tompa »

I've installed this and it seems to work pretty well!

I haven't been able to crash my B2 since the upgrade.

/Tompa
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

You might want to change the instruction, I almost had a Bubba fatality.

Under 2 it says:
...It is very important that this directory is empty and named correctly, otherwise the upgrade will not work, or if there are any other installation files (such as an install-image) this may reinstall the entire system.
On my stick that I put in the Bubba as per instruction 1, was an install directory with a Bubba 1 image file...

It seems to be working although B2 was crunching the B1 image for a bit before I took it out.

Update was successful, but downloading from the Bubba is still very slow, 30kbps.

/Hammer
pa

Post by pa »

I don't quite follow you here.

When was B2 accessing the B1 installation file?
During install?

/PA
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

The USB stick I inserted in B2 had a B1 image.
That was enough to start B2 crunching the image.
kastrom

Re: Bootloader update - fixes hangs during file transfers

Post by kastrom »

There is no u-boot.bin in the location linked in the first post.
In the zip there is a install directory, am I supposed to use the content of that?

/Kent
pa

Re: Bootloader update - fixes hangs during file transfers

Post by pa »

A mistake from us, these were not copied when 1.2.0.1 was release, done now.

/PA