New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Release notes for Excito Bubba 2&3 software version 2.6

Announcements of all software releases for Excito products
Ubi

Re: Release notes for Excito Bubba 2&3 software version 2.6

Post by Ubi »

and now for something actually ontopic: I noticed that upgrading my B3 via the CLI was "holding back" bubba-backend and bubba-album for no apparent reason. The web interface did do the upgrade (I think), but in the end my /etc/bubba.version is still sitting at 2.5.1.2.

Can anyone repeat this?

PS: no folder name 'carl' has arrived
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Hi Ubi,

I upgraded yesterday, after having done some precautions to allow me to restore some of the tweaks that would probably be destroyed by the upgrade (and in fact they did). I noticed the same thing when simulating the upgrade from CLI. I did run most of the upgrades from CLI, except the ones that would also include installing any bubba-* packages (essentially that is everything but Apache and CodeIgniter). I did bubba-frontent, bubba-backend and bubba-album through the web interface and it does state 2.6 now.

You could probably try to reinstall bubba-frontend from CLI and see if that fixes the version stamping.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ubi wrote:and now for something actually ontopic: I noticed that upgrading my B3 via the CLI was "holding back" bubba-backend and bubba-album for no apparent reason. The web interface did do the upgrade (I think), but in the end my /etc/bubba.version is still sitting at 2.5.1.2.
PS: no folder name 'carl' has arrived
Are you updating to the correct sources? ("change_distribution elvin"). Also are you doing apt-get dist-upgrade (not just upgrade)?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

BTW I found where carl came from.

As said it contains PEAR related files and the folder creation time corresponds to when I installed Roundcube to replace Horde. The content relates to key parts of Roundcube `Net/SMPT` (for sending email) and `Net/IDNA2` (for supporting internationalized domain names). For some reason the PEAR configuration on the B3 has `/home/carl/build/php5-5.3.3/pear-build-download` set as the installer download directory. I guess that is something that 'our' Carl may know a bit more about.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

no I just did apt-get upgrade. I never really understood apt and why there must be a difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade (which actually suggests it will incur incompatibilities and land me in dependency hell)
johannes

Post by johannes »

[quote="Ubi"]no I just did apt-get upgrade. [/quote]
Try dist-upgrade, this should make all the difference.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
vrep

Post by vrep »

Hi all,

I've got a problem with this upgrade. For a couple of hours, the web frontend keeps telling me it's installing new files: Complete. Nothing happens.

Any pointers where to find more info? Is there a possibility to upgrade manually via the CLI?

Thanks in advance,
Michiel
vrep

Post by vrep »

Sorry, I didn't really get it before, but it seems like apt-get dist-upgrade is doing the job just fine ...

Code: Select all

root@bubba:/# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  davfs2 fuse-utils libboost-python1.42.0 libfuse2 libyaml-0-2 python-psutil python-pyexiv2 python-pyinotify
  python-yaml sshfs sshpass
The following packages have been kept back:
  tor-geoipdb
The following packages will be upgraded:
  apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common automake base-files bind9-host bubba
  bubba-album bubba-backend bubba-frontend cups cups-client cups-common cups-ppdc dbus debian-archive-keyring
  dpkg dpkg-dev ghostscript ghostscript-cups gnupg gpgv gzip isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common libavcodec52
  libavformat52 libavutil49 libbind9-60 libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dev libc6-ppc64 libcups2
  libcupscgi1 libcupsdriver1 libcupsimage2 libcupsmime1 libcupsppdc1 libdbus-1-3 libdbus-glib-1-2 libdns69
  libdpkg-perl libexif12 libexpat1 libexpat1-dev libgs8 libgssapi-krb5-2 libisc62 libisccc60 libisccfg62
  libk5crypto3 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 libldap-2.4-2 liblwres60 libperl5.10 libphp-codeigniter libpoppler5
  libpq5 libproc-processtable-perl libssl-dev libssl0.9.8 libswscale0 libtiff4 libwbclient0 libxml2
  libxml2-dev libxslt1.1 linux-libc-dev locales-all openssh-client openssh-server openssl perl perl-base
  perl-modules poppler-utils samba samba-common samba-common-bin sudo tor tzdata xsltproc
87 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 92.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 6495 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
Get:1 http://b3.update.excito.org/ elvin/main bubba-backend all 2.6 [588 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main base-files powerpc 6.0squeeze7 [71.5 kB]
vrep

Post by vrep »

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bubba-backend:
 bubba-backend depends on tor (>= 0.2.2.39); however:
  Package tor is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing bubba-backend (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Any ideas?
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Try

dpkg --configure tor
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

Just upgraded (ok , I tried) to 2.6 via command line.
And made the same error using apt-get update; apt-get upgrade.

After reading the posts above, I used apt-get dist-ugrade.
This seems to work, until bubba-album wants to be upgraded.

Well, somehow the script wants to know the mysql-password, which I provided.
But, and that's where I got lost, there is no database album, which could be upgraded.
If I try to create the database within album, it misses some tables, and within some tables, some columns...

Question: How do I initially install the databases of bubba-album?
I tried to remove (with force), and reinstall bubba-album, but I run into the same problem.

screenshot:

lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqu Configuring bubba-album ...
  x An error occurred while upgrading the database:
  x mysqldump: Got error: 1049: Unknown database 'album' when selecting the database
  x Fortunately, /var/cache/dbconfig-common/backups/bubba-album_2.5.1.3.mysql holds a backup of the database, 
  x made just before the upgrade.
  x If at this point you choose "retry", you will be prompted with all the configuration questions once more
  x and another attempt will be made at performing the operation. "retry (skip questions)" will immediately 
  x attempt the operation again, skipping all questions.  If you choose "abort", the operation will fail and    x
  x you will need to downgrade, reinstall, reconfigure this package, or otherwise manually intervene to 
  x continue using it.
  x Next step for database upgrade: 
  x 
  x                                           abort
  x                                           retry
  x                                           retry (skip questions) 
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

elsbernd wrote:Well, somehow the script wants to know the mysql-password, which I provided.
But, and that's where I got lost, there is no database album, which could be upgraded.
If I try to create the database within album, it misses some tables, and within some tables, some columns...
I'm actually somewhat confused about why people constantly want to set a root password on mysql. There's really less than a handful of ways that people could actually access mysql through this account and the default when creating users on the B3 disallows all of this. You're in fact lucky that you ran the update from shell, because if you'd done this using the web interface it would most likely have stalled on that password request.

If you do however insist on setting a password, the following trick will most likely solve the issue with the package manager. Create a file in `/root` named `.my.cnf` and add content as shown here:

root@b3:~# cat /root/.my.cnf
[client]
user=root
password=secret
root@b3:~# 
This should enable you to have package manager run scripts without being asked for a password.

PS If all of you are setting a password for root because you want to be able to logon to that account through phpMyAdmin, I suggest you create an alternate DBA account and use that one instead.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

elsbernd wrote:Question: How do I initially install the databases of bubba-album?
I tried to remove (with force), and reinstall bubba-album, but I run into the same problem.
Run the following command:

root@b3:~# mysql < /usr/share/dbconfig-common/data/bubba-album/install/mysql
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

Gordon: Thank you for the command. That's what I missed. Maybe I could have figured it out my own. Nevertheless.

rem: The command must be augmented by

-u root -p  album
and the database album has to be created first.
If you do however insist on setting a password, the following trick will most likely solve the issue with the package manager.
Well, good to know, but I don't trust systems with secrets written in plain text files.

-
I'm actually somewhat confused about why people constantly want to set a root password on mysql.
I'm a sysadmin for non-linux and non-windows systems :-) . But within the company I work for, there is no such database system having no passwords. Never. And we're behind a firewall and we trust (ähm) all our users. So it's good practice to have a password on all data-systems.
If all of you are setting a password for root because you want to be able to logon to that account through phpMyAdmin, I suggest you create an alternate DBA account and use that one instead.
Yes, if only I would like to type in passwords. But that's not the point. It's purely a security issue.
You're in fact lucky that you ran the update from shell, ...
I already started a post, http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 9&start=15some time ago and then got ill.
In short, I couldn't update to 2.5.2, if I remember correctly, using the web-update. And yes, that's why I updated via command line, to actually look at the error messages.
rem: None of the suggestions to remove or blank out the password of thy mysql database worked then. The I got ill and lost track.
Now I'm back :-) and I have no issue with typing in passwords numerous times. The problem was not typing in the password. Instead it was the problem, that the update couldn't find the database album.
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

After successfully created the album DB I run apt-get install bubba-album.

The installer tries to upgrade the existing database abd fails with the error messag

mysql said: ERROR 1060 (42S21) at line 1: Duplicate column name 'created'
I had to

alter table image drop created ; drop index last_activity_idx on sessions;
then the installation of

apt-get install bubba-album
runs through.
Thanks again, I learned much more about b3.

rem: selected the wrong password for user album, but will check that, if I come home and call the web-interface.