New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Can't access Bubba from Windows Vista machine

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
chris.x.dube

Can't access Bubba from Windows Vista machine

Post by chris.x.dube »

I have had a Bubba Server for a few years and never had any problems with it, accessing it from two different laptop computers both running Windows XP, via a Thompson SpeedTouch 585 v6 wireless router (Bubba is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable, PCs talk to the router wirelessly).

Recently my laptop died and I bought a new one, which came with Windows Vista installed. I can't access Bubba from this Vista machine.

If I go to http://bubba/ in my browser, it just sits there forever saying, "Waiting for bubba..." The same happens if I follow the installation instructions in the Bubba manual regarding connecting directly with an ethernet cable, changing the IP address of my computer, and going to http://192.168.0.242/ in my browser. (My router has a DHCP server anyway.)

If I log on to my router (it has a browser-based administration interface), it can see Bubba connected on one of its ethernet ports. It tells me the IP address it has assigned to bubba using DHCP (it's 192.168.1.66 just now), but if I browse to http://192.168.1.66/ the browser just sits there forever saying, "Waiting for 192.168.1.66

If I open Windows Explorer and go to \\bubba\, it finds Bubba and shows Printers and the home and storage directories. I can navigate into storage but no further (e.g. not into storage\music): if I try, it prompts me for username and password waits for ages then says, "\\bubba\storage\music is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The specified network name is no longer available." Similarly, I can navigate into home and into home\admin and home\chris but not into home\admin\private or home\chris\private (I get the same "not accessible" error message).

I thought it might be a problem with a firewall somewhere. The wireless router contains a firewall, but I haven't changed any of the router settings. I disabled Windows Firewall but that hasn't made any difference.

My wife can still access Bubba via browser and Windows Explorer from her Windows XP computer, same as she always has been able to, so it's definitely a problem with my new computer, not with Bubba or the router.

I contacted Dell Support (my laptop is a Dell) and they were totally unhelpful, saying that it was a "software problem" so not their concern.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Chris Dube
asparak

Re: Can't access Bubba from Windows Vista machine

Post by asparak »

Sounds very much like a password issue.

I'm accessing mine from Vista 64 bit with no issues. Only slight niggle I had is because the user I have on the Bubba has a different password to the Vista user. That took a little bit of fiddling to sort, but try using the remote login option ( its a small link just below. can't remember exactly but its something like login as) to change the username and password to match your Bubba's.

Asparak