New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Browsing to \\bubba\ don't work!

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
johnberg

Browsing to \\bubba\ don't work!

Post by johnberg »

I have sold my Bubba server (Bubba one) to a friend.
I deleted my user account and made a new one for him
Then I installed the Bubba server on his computer.
The web interface is working fine and I made some downloads with the torrent-client.
Then I want to reach the files by typing \\bubba\ in Internet explorer 7 (Windows XP home edition)
Then I got the message: "Can't find Bubba"
I have been trying everything but I can't come in.
Then I connected the Bubba again on my own computer and type \\bubba\......everything works perfect.
But on the computer of my friend it just won't work!
Does anyone have any idea what this is, maybe a special setting in Windows XP or something???

BY THE WAY:

Bubba server also have an USB port
I tried to get acces to the files in Bubba by connecting Bubba with an USB-cable to the computer.
Then the computer ask to install the software...which software???.... a special driver or something?
Does the USB on Bubba server support data-transport to a computer??? just like an extern harddisk??

Thank you very much for your response! :roll:
asparak

Re: Browsing to \\bubba\ don't work!

Post by asparak »

Few simple things to check:

are you configuring it the same way on both networks? i.e. are you on 192.168.0.x and his network on 192.168.1.x for example?

Can you reach it via ssh?
can you get to it via IP address?
johnberg

Post by johnberg »

Dear Asparak,

His network and mine is the same (192.168.1.x), the Bubba has 192.168.1.33.
I have acces to the web-interface by my friends computer, I can even reach the Bubba at my home because I made some portforwardings in the modem of my friend.
THE ONLY PROBLEM IS I CAN'T REACH THE FOLDERS IN THE BUBBA BY TYPING \\bubba\ IN INTERNET EXPLORER.
Reaching by ssh I have not tried.
As I already wrote, when I take the bubba to my home and connect to my computer everything works fine on WXP, but I have dual boot with Vista.
When I boot Vista and type \\bubba\ in IE on vista I get the same problem as by my friend "can't find bubba"
Very very strange is not it?
Should there be an advanced setting in network settings?? I don't know.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Sounds like something is wrong with the netbios name lookup. What did you put in the workgroup setting on the Bubba? Is it the same as the computers workgroup/domain?

/Daniel
johnberg

Post by johnberg »

Dear Daniel

This is new for me

The hostname in Bubba is "bubba'
And the workgroup is "excito"

This are nor the same names as in the computer, the workgroupname of the computer is just "WORKGROUP"
The computername is also different.
In my computer the names were also different and it has always been working when I typed \\bubba\ in IE.

Do you have any idea to get acces to the folders of bubba on my friends compute?????r.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

This is not my area of expertise but I'm quite sure putting the bubba and the computer into the same workgroup helps. The hostnames have to be different though, or you're in trouble.

/Daniel
dotzolder

Post by dotzolder »

Have both units use the same workgroup, call it whatever you want. If it still doesn't work, it might be the same problem I had.

Can you access Bubba via \\192.168.1.33? If yes, DNS is the problem, if no, Windows' TCP/IP Netbios stack could be borked, just like I experienced. Be sure you get an error saying Windows couldnt find any host at all. If you get an error telling you there is another kind of problem, there probably is ;)

When I got my Bubba a couple of weeks ago, I could connect via SSH, HTTP. FTP, ping but not via filebrowsing/samba. Not via \\bubba nor via \\192.168.1.33. I fixed this with the following command in cmd.exe:

Code: Select all

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

After doing this, my entire network went down, I fixed this by re-enabling my static IP.